500 million blogs. 10 million posts a day. And a decade spent building an alternative to the status quo. Part social network, part blogging platform, full hellsite, this is Tumblr — and we’re proud to be one of the few places where internet creators can build their homes, share their work and connect with their audiences through what they love — not who they know.
Our mission: to advance the world’s subcultures that make the internet a more inclusive, interesting and weird place… and we’re now a startup again (under Automattic!) with the curiosity and energy to remake our platform with tomorrow’s creators in mind.
Are you a Growth Marketing Leader looking for that rare opportunity to join an early stage culture — with a decade-proof brand? Then give us a 👀. Let’s make the internet fun again.
We’re looking for a motivated and analytical Growth Marketing lead to join our team. This role will focus on developing and implementing strategies to acquire and convert customers. We want this candidate to have deep technical marketing knowledge and understand how to diagnose and execute mechanics that drive growth. As a Growth Marketing lead, this person will need to act as an individual contributor and will be expected to hire and build their own team of full-stack marketers to maximize impact as follows:
- Acquire new incremental users (mobile-first focus)
- Discover new sources of growth by testing marketing channels
- Improve conversion rate through funnel optimization and message testing
- Optimize channel performance for paid media, email, referral, organic and more
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop, test, and iterate on growth marketing strategies to drive new users. You’ll need to understand the full funnel, all the different marketing touchpoints, key messaging and value propositions, and customer audiences to pull together the most impactful strategies.
- Create and validate data-informed positioning, messaging, and customer segmentation strategies.
- Own and execute on your ideas—from crafting the messaging to building campaigns.
- Measure and track behaviors using a variety of tools. Provide detailed reporting on the impact of your growth marketing efforts.
- Drive measurable impact in conversion and sign-up rates through funnel optimization, testing, and experimentation.
- Partner with other Marketing, Product, Design, and Data teams to understand our users, our product, and the best ways to get the right message to the right user at the right time.
- Use your elite project management skills to lead development roadmaps, testing, and/or experimentation of new product features, internal marketing tools, and integrations with third-party platforms/tools as needed.
- Culture a spirit of fun and growth amongst your peers across teams.
We want you to succeed with us! Here’s what you’ll need to do that:
- Technical Knowledge: You will develop a framework for measuring the impact of your growth strategies, so you’ll need to be proficient in financial, mathematical, and science-based concepts for marketing applications. Strong analytical skills for funnel analysis and cohort-based performance reporting are essential. Bonus points for experience with Google Analytics, Looker, SQL, etc.
- Project Management - You enjoy prioritizing, distributing, and following up on the progress and success of projects. Strong skills in funnel analysis and performance reporting help you develop accountability across teams (bonus: knowing prioritization frameworks!).
- Channel Expertise - You have a breadth of experience across multiple marketing channels including, but not limited to: SEO, SEM, CRO/LPO, paid media (social and display), and email lifecycle marketing.
- Decision Making - You show complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. You act as a highly strategic and inspirational leader within the team and among cross-functional partners. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions.
- Leadership - You’re confident using data and resource trade-offs to pursue impact and consider alternative perspectives to find the best path forward. You uplift morale and encourage learning by mentoring your co-workers with a positive attitude.
- Nice to have: You know Tumblr, with its unique ecosystem and weirdly particular audience because, on some level, that’s also you. Oh, and frogs. It’s definitely a plus if you like frogs.
How to Apply:
You’re still reading, good. If you think that might be you, be hasty, and click the Apply button below (ya, duh). We like letters, so you’ll need to write us a cover letter. It’s your golden ticket to being considered. Tell us who you are. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread, please (we like grammar, and you should, too). Make sure you spell and capitalize our mom and dad companies properly. We get a lot of mail when we’re hiring, which is really cool, but it also means your application needs to stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- If you could only pick one growth tactic to help Tumblr acquire more mobile users, what would it be and why?
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.