At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a strategic Head of Communications to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will focus on leading, developing, and implementing communications strategies to engage and educate our customers, potential employees, media, and investors.
We want this candidate to be a world-class communications and social media professional who has experience crafting unique and compelling stories for some of the world’s top brands. As a Communications leader, this person will need to lead and mentor a team of full-stack communications professionals to maximize impact as follows:
- Promote desired narrative and positioning for WordPress.com
- Navigate both proactive and reactive message strategy across various channels
- Build key media and influencer relationships for WordPress.com and Automattic
- Own, shape, and iterate on the WordPress.com Communications vision, strategy, and guidance of its implementation.
- Work with Automatticians across the company to secure external speaking opportunities to help promote awareness of our company and products to prospective customers, current customers, and potential employees.
- Set the vision and lead external messaging for both reactive and proactive crisis statements and product announcements.
- Identify, plan, and oversee initiatives to build momentum through video storytelling, events, and media campaigns that support product launches and company announcements, and manage distribution to the right audiences.
- Lead the approach for social media to increase engagement and impact through this key communications channel.
- Work closely with other leaders at the company to provide flexible coverage on an as needed basis, in case of emergencies.
- Keep an eye on the bigger picture as a leader in communications to ensure that our messaging and approach is held to a high quality standard and helps level up our capabilities within WordPress.com and across Automattic.
- Lead proactive engagement with media to address outdated and/or erroneous perceptions of WordPress and WordPress.com, collaborating with content and other Marketing division leads to craft and provide compelling, accurate proof points for clarification and the reframing of our value proposition
- Inspire and mentor Communications team members.
- Communication – Ability to host clear, technically accurate conversations and express complicated concepts in easy to understand methods. Experience building alignment between and demonstrating value to a variety of internal and external partners, using excellent written, oral, and illustrative communication skills. Listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the optimal path forward. Experience guiding the production of and writing compelling copy for press releases, social media, and/or email.
- Multi-Tasking & Prioritization – Establish and maintain open communication flow between key partners, and shepherd projects through to completion within deadlines. Work with colleagues as well as outside media and partners to ensure all opportunities are well-leveraged and customer and project needs are met.
- Decision Making – Shows complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions.
- Leadership – Mentors the team for continued professional development. Uplifts the morale with a positive mentality and helping team members to hone in and double down on their most impactful work. Clearly communicates vision, strategy, and expectations. Love of learning is a huge plus!
- Project Management – Implement efficient and impactful systems for accountability across teams and drives initiatives forward to completion, and measures estimated vs. actualized impact. Builds bridges across company teams and divisions, advocating for the team’s goals and projects as we collaboratively build out a seamless customer experience. Encourages all team members to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.
- Collaboration: Represents the goals, projects, and needs of the team across the Marketing division and wider business. Collaborates closely with content, creative, growth, and leadership to amplify the impact of our collective efforts.
- Knowledge of the WordPress Ecosystem: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Share an initiative that you’ve overseen that drove particular traction or engagement among your target audience. How did you know the message “broke through?”
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.