At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a strategic Head of Community Growth to join our team on WordPress.com with experience building and scaling online communities. This role will focus on developing and implementing strategies to engage and educate our customers through community marketing opportunities and define success through conversion metrics and attitudinal analysis.
We want this candidate to be an amazing and compelling communicator through written and verbal communication. This candidate should be able to think big picture and use data to draw insights and make decisions. Being comfortable with video and other multimedia platforms is a must; this will be a highly interactive role with customers and prospective customers. This person will lead and mentor a team of full-stack community managers to maximize impact as follows:
- Set the vision for engagement in targeted online communities as an effective marketing channel.
- Lead the acquisition of new and incremental customers through strategic social proof and product education.
- Plan, test, and iterate efforts to nurture consideration by developers and self-hosted users throughout the WordPress community to consider WordPress.com as their platform of choice.
- Direct and develop content and education tools across various multimedia platforms.
- Collaborate with and advocate for the team’s work with key partners across the business, including user education content, creative, growth, engineering, and support team leaders.
- Develop and oversee an approach to forge authentic relationships with target audiences globally to build consideration for our products with developers and end users through courses, conferences, sponsorships, and other opportunities for community engagement.
- Build a sense of community among our current and prospective customers to further our commitment to customer education and success, including managing private course communities, creating meetup content and schedule, managing staffing, coordinating speaker or guest-blog logistics, and working with our internal team members and external partners to ensure successful events and engagement to add value to the annual subscribers.
- Lead close collaboration with Product, Happiness, and Content teams to incorporate feedback into what we build, how we build it, and how we educate.
- Plan and promote initiatives for viral expansion through network effects of community engagement, to become an effective channel for customer acquisition and retention.
- Moderate engagement among the community to ensure the dynamic is supportive, welcoming, and safe.
- Encourage switching to the WordPress.com platform by self-hosted users, through education, building social proof among peers, and assistance on importers. Build the muscle of impact analysis to bring an analytical approach and skillset to the team; use data to draw insights and implement improvements as needed.
- Work cross collaboratively with influencer teams, marketing, and partners to promote offerings and reach registration and revenue goals.
- Keep an eye on the bigger picture as a leader in community growth to ensure that our approach is held to a high quality standard and helps level up our capabilities within WordPress.com and aligns with other interests within Automattic.
- Manage and lead a team of community managers.
- Communication – Ability to host clear, technically accurate conversations and express complicated concepts in easy to understand methods, with excellent written, oral, and illustrative communication styles. Listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the optimal path forward. Experience writing compelling copy for landing pages, ads, and/or emails.
- Multi-Tasking & Prioritization – Establish and maintain open communication flow between partners, and shepherd projects through to completion within deadlines. Work with colleagues as well as outside vendors, resources, and partners to ensure all opportunities are well-leveraged and customer and project needs are met.
- Decision Making – Shows complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions.
- Leadership – Mentors the team for continued professional development, helping team members to hone in and double down on their most impactful work. Clearly communicates vision, strategy, and expectations while uplifting the morale of the team with a positive mentality. Love of learning is a huge plus!
- Project Management – Implement efficient and impactful systems for accountability across teams and drives initiatives forward to completion, and measures estimated vs. actualized impact. Builds bridges across company teams and divisions, advocating for the team’s goals and projects as we collaboratively build out a seamless customer experience. Encourages all team members to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.
- Collaboration: Represents the goals, projects, and needs of the team across the Marketing division and wider business. Collaborates closely with content, creative, growth, and support leadership to amplify our collective efforts.
- Knowledge of the WordPress Ecosystem: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Tell us about one of your most successful community growth tactics and what impact it generated.
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.