At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a strategic Community Growth Manager to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will focus on developing and implementing strategies to engage and educate our customers through community marketing opportunities.
This candidate will be the champion and cheerleader of the WordPress.com community. This person should be a natural people person and love helping individuals, developers, and small businesses exceed their goals. They’ll take a consultative approach to ensuring that our customers are successful with the WordPress.com platform, engage with prospective customers, and champion the needs, challenges, and successes of our rapidly growing user base. This person will be an individual contributor to maximize impact as follows:
- Build engagement in targeted online communities as an effective marketing channel.
- Acquire new and incremental customers through social proof and product education.
- Create consideration by developers and self-hosted users throughout the WordPress community to consider WordPress.com as their platform of choice.
- Build value and engagement within our paid course communities.
- Develop content and education tools across various multimedia platforms.
- Forge authentic relationships with target audiences to build consideration for our products with developers and end users through courses, conferences, sponsorships, social platforms, and other opportunities for community engagement.
- Build a sense of community among our current and prospective customers to further our commitment to customer education and success, including managing private course communities, curating meetup content and schedules, managing staffing, coordinating speaker or guest-blog logistics, and working with our internal team members and external partners to ensure successful events and engagement to add value to subscribers.
- Promote viral expansion through network effects of community engagement, to become an effective channel for customer acquisition and retention -- through attending and speaking at events and meetups, building relationships across forums, etc.
- Moderate engagement among the community to ensure the dynamic is supportive, welcoming, and safe.
- Encourage switching to the WordPress.com platform by self-hosted users, through education, building social proof among peers, and assistance on importers.
- Manage reporting and metrics across our efforts in collaboration with the data team and work with the marketing team on solutions to improve as needed.
- Work cross collaboratively with influencer teams, marketing, and partners to promote offerings and reach registration and revenue goals.
- Build relationships with peers in Happiness, Marketing, and Engineering to advocate for customer needs and understand how we can best help our users thrive.
- Communication – A storyteller with the ability to host clear, technically accurate conversations and express complicated concepts in easy to understand methods, with excellent written, oral, video, multimedia, and illustrative communication styles.
- Multi-Tasking & Prioritization – Establish and maintain open communication flow between stakeholders, and shepherd projects through to completion within deadlines. Work with colleagues as well as outside vendors, resources, and partners to ensure all opportunities are well-leveraged and customer and project needs are met.
- Decision Making – Shows complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions.
- Project Management – Implement efficient and impactful systems for accountability across teams and drives initiatives forward to completion, and measures estimated vs. actualized impact. All team members are encouraged to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.
- Collaboration: Collaborates closely with content, creative, growth, engineering, and support team members to amplify our collective efforts.
- Knowledge of the WordPress Ecosystem: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Tell us about one of your most successful community growth tactics and what impact it generated.
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.