The WordPress project is supported by a vibrant community of volunteers who are passionate about open source technology. We are looking for someone to join our Automattic team dedicated to aiding the WordPress open source system (OSS) efforts. Your focus will be on helping to modernize, improve, and maintain GlotPress, the application that all localized WordPress versions depend on to facilitate the goal of getting WordPress translations of top languages to 100% at the time of release
- Contribute significantly to the goals and mission of internationalization, including identification and prioritization of requirements, negotiation with stakeholders, identify feasible goals, build efficient solutions that make requirements, and test/deploy safely and appropriately.
- Wrangle the GlotPress codebase and database architecture. Learn to understand its architecture and technical limitations, and become the team’s expert in its development and use.
- Assist in guiding and managing the community and team contributions to projects.
- Triage any questions or grievances to promote volunteer cooperation and engagement;
- Regularly prioritize and work on bug reports, issues, and tickets;
- Provide self-feedback and solicited feedback regularly;
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings, both internal to Automattic, and externally in the community.
- Lead community involvement by example: be active and inviting in helping new contributors produce fixes, new features, or become useful participants in technical discussions, especially as concerns the success of the Block Editor and Gutenberg-enhanced experiences in WordPress;
- Engage volunteers to strengthen the project with recruitment, training, and regular community check-ins/dissemination of information;
- Attend community events and facilitate WP-team meetings;
- Offer to speak at local meetups and WordCamps.
- Experience with BackPress, GlotPress, the WordPress Polyglots team, or translating WordPress.
- Experience managing volunteers online or in-person.
- Experience in volunteer recruitment through various channels.
- Excellent organizational and team coordination abilities.
What does success look like one year from now?
A year from now, you’ll have accomplished at least 75% of this GlotPress roadmap, as well as cross-trained members of your team in the complexities of the tool. The high-level roadmap currently includes:
- Integrate a bbPress-based tool to GlotPress, mainly for translation feedback
- A notification mechanism that could help new & experienced translators to become aware of the next steps they need to take, making it clear that translators can/need to request a review after adding some suggestions.
- Tooltips in GlotPress as help for first-time contributors
- Automate/update part of the PTE request process
- Machine translation integration
- Translation memory improvement, i.e. being able to report, edit, update or modify existing strings in the translation memory
- Automated blocking of low-quality translations
- Prioritizing and working on glossary improvement
How to Apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, fill out our application form below. Please include the answers to these questions in your cover letter. Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with answers will not be considered.
- Tell us about an interesting technical problem that you’ve worked on. What made it enjoyable?
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.