Tumblr was founded with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. That’s why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr growing. We’re big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
Tumblr is looking for a Business Development Manager/Sr. Manager who is ready to step into a big, multi-faceted role with the opportunity to have a direct impact on Tumblr’s revenue goals. You’ll build and sustain strategic revenue-generating partnerships across programmatic advertising, ad tech, and video monetization, as well as new technologies and opportunities you identify.
What You’ll Do:
- Identify, negotiate and close deals with new revenue generating and ad tech partners, including SSPs, DSPs, and video distribution/content creation studios.
- Lead and optimize relationships with existing partners, including leading QBR’s/monthly working sessions, assisting with revenue forecasting, and problem solving with product and engineering teams to resolve issues.
- Continually balance revenue upside, user experience and engineering lift to maximize overall return on investment.
- Understand the ins/outs of all revenue streams/partnerships from a technical and data perspective, monitor and report on critical metrics including revenue, impressions, fill rates, eCPMs and users feedback, and provide data driven recommendations to evaluate current and new revenue opportunities.
- Manage programmatic ad policies in partnership with Brand Partnerships, Legal and Trust & Safety.
- Be the go-to person on relevant business trends, best practices, and emerging technologies.
- Work cross-functionally with teams across Tumblr and Automattic.
We Are Looking For:
- 5-8 years of experience negotiating, building and maintaining revenue generating partnerships, at least four of which have been in social media, digital media, and/or programmatic advertising.
- A strong understanding of contract terms and an ability to negotiate the business issues while balancing risks/upside.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to examine opportunities and assess trade-offs.
- Familiarity with and understanding of the current social media ecosystem and Tumblr’s, and its communities’, place in that ecosystem.
- Self-starter with flexibility to wear multiple hats and the capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously while balancing the details and the big picture.
- An effective cross-team collaborator, able to prioritize feedback from a variety of stakeholders.
- An understanding of b2b marketing and how to utilize it to achieve revenue goals is a plus.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team! Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
- An emerging leader who is humble, hungry, and has excellent judgment!
Does this sound interesting? If yes, let us know what you can contribute to the team. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out in your application letter by telling us why you’d like to join Tumblr and why you think Tumblr is poised for growth.
Professional development & career coaching, fully paid health benefits (for employees in the US), open vacation policy, generous parental leaves, wellness support, sabbaticals, more.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? To apply, fill out our application form below. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.