The MarTech team makes growth, and the analysis of growth, more effective and more efficient. We use tools and technology to encourage ideas, tackle complex problems through team initiatives across all of Automattic, and most importantly, drive growth of the business through rapid experimentation.
We're a relatively new and rapidly growing team with the opportunity to drive substantial change! We need inventive Growth Engineers who want to experiment with creative ideas and help us tackle sophisticated business problems.
- Work with a growing, cross-functional, and highly collaborative engineering team to unlock the potential of WordPress.com’s marketing technology stack, and the teams who use it across the whole company.
- Be the domain specialist in marketing automation and growth technology. Learn our existing platform landscape and find ways to improve it.
- Form alliances with our data and product teams to drive adoption and implementation of growth strategies, marketing technology, and automation.
- Find opportunities, generate ideas, define success metrics, and formulate hypotheses for rapid experimentation initiatives.
- Analyze data and build dashboards that measure success metrics, monitor A/B test results, advise growth initiatives, and executive leadership.
- Be responsible for crafting comprehensive internal documentation that effectively enables self-serve use of our technology stack.
- Have experience using agile development tools (e.g., GitHub, Trello). You know how to break big problems down into smaller pieces. You thrive on moving items to the Done column at a healthy pace.
- Highly collaborative, you love participating in code reviews, and you enjoy upbeat discussions about architecture, design, and user experience. You're also comfortable working with others who are not engineers. You're confident, a great listener, and you seek to simplify the complex.
- Have extensive knowledge of SEO practices, or a strong desire to learn. You also have experience working with tools in the marketing technology space; e.g., Yoast SEO, Rank Math, Segment, Google Analytics (GA 360), Google Search Console, SEMrush, Google Optimize, Hotjar, Salesforce, MailChimp, Wistia, Unbounce, or others.
- Love thinking about things from the customer’s perspective and trying to understand what motivates and drives decision-making through competitor research, data, customer feedback, empathy, and behavioral analysis.
- Love to experiment and tackle problems. You’re product-minded and growth-focused. You’re happy to question assumptions and back your recommendations with data.
- Startup experience; e.g., you've been a technical founder, co-founder, growth specialist, or a member of a marketing team before.
- Experience with WordPress theme and plugin development, building or supporting sites powered by WordPress, or new editor for WordPress (Gutenberg).
- Experience working extensively with structured data, schemas, or other SEO tools.
- Experience with automated test frameworks, Selenium, Puppeteer, PHPUnit, Jest, Mocha, Circle CI, Travis, CI, Jenkins, or other.
- Having worked with or as a social media marketing company, and had email marketing experience, e.g., Iterable, MailChimp, AWeber.
- Experience in paid search; e.g., Google Ads (AdWords), Bing, and working with Google Ads Scripts for automation.
- Hands-on experience with a data pipeline or analytics team, and data visualization tools.
- Experience with affiliate program software (e.g., iDevAffiliate, CJ, Impact Radius, ShareASale, WP Affiliate, etc.), or peer referral software.
Diversity, equity & inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to Apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to at least one of the following mini-challenges in your cover letter. Applicants who do not submit their cover letter will not be considered.
Mini Challenge 1
When you make a GET request to: https://public-api.wordpress.com/wpcom/v2/work-with-us with a header of X-future: automattician you will receive a secret. What is that secret?
Mini Challenge 2
// Add additional code that corrects the spelling of these
// popular brand names using the least amount of code possible.