Aura is hiring experienced software engineers to join our backend team.
You will work directly with the CTO and other senior engineers to identify, prioritize, and execute on the most impactful projects for the company.
Our backend systems power a network of thousands of picture frames across the world to deliver cherished family photos - the right photo at the right time. We apply state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning technology to thousands of photos every day to automatically sort and curate our users' libraries. We have experienced 300% year-over-year growth, and the scale of our network will continue to grow in the future. There is a seemingly endless supply of challenging new problems - new scale, new technologies, and innovative new product features.
Our technology stack is built on a combination of Ruby on Rails and Python. Everything runs in AWS, utilizing EC2, S3, CloudFormation, SQS and other services.
An ideally qualified candidate will have many or all of the following:
- 5+ years experience operating Ruby on Rails at scale, including core technologies such as ActiveRecord and ActionController
- 5+ years experience with AWS technologies including EC2, S3, CloudFormation, and SQS
- 3+ years experience with Python
- Experience with or a desire to learn about operating machine learning frameworks, including Caffe
- Experience with or a desire to learn about operating computer vision technologies, including OpenCV
- A desire to help identify and prioritize problems and opportunities within the technology stack
- Willingness to work with mobile and web application developers to solve problems and build features in internal APIs
- A data, logging, and instrumentation-based mindset to triage and problem solving
This position is available in New York City (Chinatown). We also have a fully staffed office including engineering in San Francisco. You will have the opportunity to travel to San Francisco for team meetings and off-sites.
Aura sells a leading smart frame for your home, marrying sophisticated technology with thoughtful design. The Aura Frame is designed to be both beautiful and easy-to-use, while providing powerful automatic photo curation features. Aura's customers rave about the product online and in-person, as it provides immediate and private connection with your closest family, at any physical distance. We are sold online and at retail, including Best Buy and Bloomingdales.