Attune is making it easier, faster, and more reliable for small businesses to access insurance (think, pizza place down the street or main street store). They all need insurance to protect their businesses, but when it comes time to get a policy, they’re bogged down by hundreds of questions, lots of paperwork, and a seemingly never-ending timeline stretching for weeks or months.
We’re changing that. By using data and technology expertise to understand risk, automating legacy processes, and creating a better user experience for brokers, we’re able to provide policies that are more applicable and more transparent in just minutes.
Recently, we joined Coalition, Inc. (Coalition), a leading cyber insurance and security provider, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help businesses manage and mitigate cyber risk. Our combined company is worth $3.5B, with our latest raise reaching $205M and participation from world-class investors like Index Ventures and T. Rowe Price.
Attune operates individually with its own brand identity and mission while strengthening and complementing Coalition’s vision, giving its customers access to new and evolving insurance markets. Together, we serve 130,000 small business policyholders who pay us ~$500M per year in insurance premiums to ensure their security.
Now our growth is at hyperspeed- not only our mission but also our team. We’ve earned our spot on many workplace award lists in staying true to our values. We’re dedicated to creating a diverse team of curious, focused, and motivated people passionate about changing the future of an entire industry.
As an Actuary / Data Scientist, reporting to our Director of Actuarial, you will join a fast paced and growing team of data scientists and underwriters in rapidly scaling a book of small business BusinessOwners Policy (BOP), Excess Liability, Workers Compensation, General Liability, Cyber and Professional Liability business by combining traditional loss modeling with new machine learning techniques. From working with unique third-party data sets to instantiating innovative ways to manage portfolios, you will play a central role in evolving how insurance portfolios are managed. You will partner with the technical product, underwriting, engineering (IT), and revenue functions within Attune to build out new programs and the underlying analytics that support them.
- Assist with monitoring the various lines of business’ loss performance by tracking claims developments, trends and forecasting ultimates for senior management and our capital partners.
- Redefine traditional underwriting by exploring and incorporating third party-data sets and data science methodologies into eligibility and its impact on ratemaking.
- Work with the underwriting and data science teams to to build new models and plans for underwriting and pricing; both for new programs and for verticals within the existing portfolio.
- Work with Attune’s Claims team and third party administrators to establish and monitor reserving practices.
- Assist with developing and monitoring catastrophe models.
- Support underwriting on rate support and justification for product filings.
- Program the updates to loss costs and rating algorithm into the underwriting system.
- Analyze the portfolio to find areas of both growth and improvement through pricing and rate modifications.
- Be responsible for underwriting reporting deliverables to internal and external parties.
- 3-7 years experience as an actuarial analyst, data scientist or other insurance professional, preferably working in an analytics or data science intensive role.
- Proficiency with SQL and at least strong basic skills with Python.
- Progress towards exams and interest in Actuarial qualifications (ACAS/FCAS) preferred.
- Comfort making assumptions or using proxies to supplement the data that does exist.
- Experience with pricing, catastrophe modeling, financial projections and reinsurance; reserving principals and economic capital modeling a plus.
- Experience with predictive modeling (classification, regression, parameter tuning, feature selection, validation, performance reporting), preferably with multiple techniques is preferred.