At any given time, 16 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance could transform their lives. But today, most never get it.
Atticus makes it easy for any person in crisis to get the life-changing aid they deserve. In just three years, we’ve become the leading platform connecting people with disabilities to government benefits. We also help victims of accidents, misconduct, and violence get compensation from insurance. So far, we’ve gotten thousands of people access to over $2B in life-changing aid, and we’re just getting started.
We've helped more than 20,000 people in need (see our 6,000+ five-star reviews) and raised more than $50 million from top VC firms like Forerunner, GV (Google Ventures), and True Ventures. (We just closed our Series B round in May 2023, so we're well-funded for the foreseeable future.) We're small but moving fast — our team grew from 32 to 60 last year and we expect to double in size again in 2023.
Each day, hundreds of people seek our help getting disability benefits or insurance compensation. They’re intimidated by the process, unsure where to turn, and desperate for good advice.
As part of our Client Experience team, your job is to get them on the right path. You’ll spend each day communicating with clients to understand their situation, figure out whether we can help them, and advise them on next steps.
At Atticus, our service is totally free, and clients are desperate for our help — so you'll never have to talk down an angry customer or sell someone a service they don’t want. The interactions are deeply rewarding, and clients are profoundly grateful. But you will have to navigate conversations on deeply personal and sad topics, gently but quickly offer guidance, and handle many different interactions over the course of a day. You'll become an expert on a complex and interesting field, learn to rapidly navigate our internal tech platforms and tools (Salesforce, Front, etc.), and help hundreds of ordinary people (each with a unique story) every week.
Please note: You don’t need any prior legal knowledge or experience to excel in this job.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree from a top four-year university with strong academic performance.
- You care about people and can interact with folks from all walks of life; you’re able to simultaneously be supportive to a person in crisis and quickly drive a conversation.
- You’re a quick learner and a competent writer, able to master complex new topics and platforms when given instruction and support.
- You have a strong work ethic and are capable of juggling multiple competing priorities.
- You’re fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (or medically unable to get the vaccine).
- You are willing to work off-hours and weekends.
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- You’ve previously worked at a fast-growing startup or particularly high-performing service/sales/support team from a company known for great customer service.
- You have completed a socially-focused, hands-on internship or have significant volunteer experience.
- You have experience using Salesforce and/or Front.
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d love to meet you.
Salary and Benefits
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, well-respected backers, tremendous growth, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch many lives.
We offer competitive pay — including equity — and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered
- 15 vacation days & ~19 paid holidays each year (including two weeks at end-of-year)
- Free membership to OneMedical
- $1,000 reimbursable stipend for education and training outside of work
- Student loan repayment assistance, 401(k), and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and regular team dinners/events/retreats
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
We anticipate the base salary band for this role will be between $50,000 to $60,000 in addition to equity and benefits. The salary at offer will be determined by a number of factors such as candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity among our team.
Location & Covid
Today, about half our team are in Los Angeles or Phoenix (where we have offices) and half are fully remote and spread across the U.S. There are two options for this job:
- Live in Phoenix, working from our office.
- Live wherever, work remotely, and travel to Phoenix or LA (on the company dime) as needed to be with your colleagues —somewhere between quarterly and yearly.
In short: You can do this job well remotely, and we’re committed to empowering everyone with flexibility. But we care a lot about building a great culture and we think some interactions need to happen in person, so we put a lot of thought into retreats, offsites, and other ways to gather.
As for Covid: When the pandemic started, we immediately shifted to fully remote to protect our team and shuttered our office. Today, everyone on the team is vaccinated, and many come in often (though we don’t require it). Going forward, you can expect that vaccinations will be required for all employees (unless medically unable) and that if a variant emerges that makes in-person work unsafe for vaccinated people, we’ll close our office, cease any travel, and do whatever it takes to protect and support our team.