At any given time, 15 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance could transform their lives. But today, most never get it. Atticus is a tech startup on a mission to change that.
We bridge the gap between the many people who need legal help and the few great lawyers who provide it. To our clients, we're the legal equivalent of a primary care doctor: we diagnose their issue, advise them on their options, and, if needed, refer them to a specialist — a vetted, top-tier lawyer who can win their case. To lawyers, we operate as a broker: we send them pre-vetted clients and earn a percentage of what they earn from winning each case.
Who are our clients? For now, our primary focus is on helping disabled people get government benefits. Our clients are among the 15 million American adults who have lost their ability to support themselves due to a severe illness or injury. They’re eligible for life-changing government support — a monthly check and health insurance — but a complicated system prevents most from qualifying. We help them understand their rights and find the help they need to get benefits.
Atticus was founded in 2018. Our team remains small, but we’ve served thousands of happy customers (see our 800+ 5-star reviews), generated substantial revenue, and raised $5.8 million from top venture capital investors. We’re the first of our kind: a mission-driven firm offering free legal services to ordinary people, driven by new technology and on track to build a huge and profitable business.
Each day, hundreds of people seek our help getting disability benefits, recovering from an accident, or navigating a workplace dispute. They’re daunted by this these processes, unsure where to turn, and desperate for good legal advice.
As one of our Legal Intake Coordinators, your job is to get these people on the right path. You’ll spend each day talking to our clients — mostly by phone, sometimes by email or text — to understand their situation, advise them what to do, and help them move forward. If a client qualifies for benefits or help, you’ll work with them to plan next steps and hire refer them to the right lawyer in our network. If a client doesn’t qualify, you’ll gently explain that and offer some free legal advice on alternatives. These conversations are quite personal but deeply rewarding, and the people you speak with will be profoundly grateful for your help.
On a typical day, you’d talk with 30 people, each with a unique story. Our intake team includes both lawyers and exceptional professionals without a law degree, and your time would be dedicated towards the cases most in need of a staff attorney. Whenever there is a case in the legal grey area, we would rely on your judgment to decide on the best path for the client. Half would be new clients, whom you’d talk with at length to document their cases, offer advice, and recommend lawyers. The other half would be people you’d already referred to lawyers, whom you’d follow up with to see how they’re doing and field any questions.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need to master three things: (1) The art of guiding a conversation quickly and effectively without sacrificing compassion. (Hopefully you have this already.) (2) The software we use to store client data and automate repetitive tasks. (It’s a custom platform built on Salesforce, and you’ll get the hang of it quickly.) (3) The knowledge you’ll need to understand this these complex fields of law. Today the majority of our clients are seeking disability benefits or representation in personal injury cases. (This will take time, but wWe’ll offer plenty of resources and support. In the early days you’ll regularly escalate cases to our staff attorneys, and over time you’ll get comfortable handling most things yourself.)
Atticus is not a typical law firm and we are not looking for a typical lawyer. But if you are excited for an opportunity to use your legal background to have a life-changing impact for dozens of individuals every week – without sacrificing work-life balance – we are excited to meet you.
- You are a licensed attorney with 2+ years of experience practicing the law
- You’ve excelled in a past job that involved talking to strangers all day (legal aid, customer service, sales, support, hospitality, etc.) — ideally for at least several years
- You can connect with people from all walks of life. You could explain a complex process to a client with limited education in plain English, then relay her situation to a top-tier lawyer in professional terms.
- You’re a quick learner, able to master complex new topics when given instruction and support, and a fast and competent writer
- You have experience teaching or training others, and would be able to help non-attorney professionals on the team learn how to provide more effective counsel
- You have a demonstrated commitment to doing good and helping people
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- You’ve previously worked in a consumer law field (e.g., personal injury, workers’ comp) or have first-hand experience in a legal aid clinic
- You’ve previously worked at a fast-growing startup or particularly high-performing service/sales/support team
- You’ve had a metrics-driven role where you monitored key measures for service volume and satisfaction; you can set quantitative goals and achieve them.
- You’re fluent in Spanish
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in law and tech, we’d love to meet you!
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, great backers, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch a lot of lives.
We offer competitive pay (including equity) and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered (vision is also offered)
- 15 vacation days & ~14 paid holidays each year
- Free memberships to ClassPass and OneMedical
- 401(k) and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and occasional team dinners/events/retreats
- A future office in Scottsdale/Phoenix area, with home office in LA's Arts District
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
Note on COVID-19
In turbulent times, you'd be right to worry about working at a startup. Thankfully though, Atticus has remained strong throughout this crisis:
- Since most of our business involves helping people who are out of work, this is a rare field that grows during recessions, and we’ve seen an influx of new customers.
- We recently closed a sizable funding round and won't need to raise again until late 2021.
- Our team has long had several remote employees, so we built our processes and platforms from the ground up to easily enable remote work.
- For now, we've gone fully remote to protect our team — though we'll return to our offices once it’s safe to do so.
As more families are forced to seek help from our nation’s broken social safety net, this work matters more than ever. We're continuing to grow and hire, with accommodations to our process to make sure that everyone involved stays safe.
This role will start remote (you can work from home), but you’ll need to be ready to work from an office in the Phoenix area once this pandemic is over. We won’t switch to in-person work until it’s safe for everyone to do so, and certainly not before Summer 2021.
How to Apply
Use the short form below. Questions? Email email@example.com.