Serving our clients is a fascinatingly complex process: We have to reach them, gather information, identify their needs, give advice, match them with a lawyer, connect them to that lawyer, convince both parties to work together, and formalize the arrangement — all as fast as humanly possible. (Our record is about 20 minutes, though it sometimes takes weeks.) Parts of the process are fully automated, while others are fully human. Any change made to one stage cascades through every other.
Your job is to redesign and improve that process, so that we can help more people in less time. It’s a tough intellectual challenge, and a critical one for our company as we grow. Your mission:
- Scrutinize our current processes and measure their performance: Gather data, analyze them, and present your findings to show how we’re doing today.
- Test and learn: Run experiments, assess what you’ve implemented, gather data to measure your impact, and iterate.
- Design improvements: Interview customers and employees to understand their needs and pain points, and research similar processes at other companies. Then brainstorm new ideas and propose new ways of doing things.
- Implement your proposals: Work with our product, engineering, and client service teams to bring your ideas to life. Wherever possible, build them yourself (particularly in Salesforce), and try multiple variants.
- Set the agenda: Join in high-level strategic discussions and use what you’ve learned to shape key decisions and targets at a company level.
This job has particularly high potential for promotion. After 12-24 months, the expectation is that you'd grow into a Product Manager role.
- You have 2+ years of experience in management consulting, business operations, or industrial/systems engineering at a high-performing company.
- You’ve successfully led projects where you mapped complex systems, gathered and analyzed data, made recommendations, and helped design and implement solutions.
- You can quickly grasp ambiguous, conceptual problems, and can use your mastery of data and analytics and advanced-level expertise in Excel to solve them.
- You’re a persuasive advocate for your ideas and have experience getting buy-in from others.
- You know how to take a lean approach: you can propose experiments, gather data, analyze results, and iterate quickly.
- You have a demonstrated commitment to doing good and helping people.
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- You have experience with marketplace businesses, call centers, or complex consumer services (insurance, fintech, medical, real estate, etc.).
- You’ve done consumer-focused research or discovery work, or something else that makes you comfortable interviewing and empathizing with average people.
- You’ve worked with business intelligence platforms and tools at an advanced level.
- You have experience teaching and training others and can drive adoption of tools you build.
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in law and tech, we’d love to meet you!
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, great backers, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch a lot of lives.
We offer competitive pay (including equity) and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered (vision is also offered)
- 15 vacation days & ~14 paid holidays each year
- Free memberships to ClassPass and OneMedical
- 401(k) and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and occasional team dinners/events/retreats
- A future office in Scottsdale/Phoenix area, with home office in LA's Arts District
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
Note on COVID-19
In turbulent times, you'd be right to worry about working at a startup. Thankfully though, Atticus has remained strong throughout this crisis:
- Since most of our business involves helping people who are out of work, this is a rare field that grows during recessions, and we’ve seen an influx of new customers.
- We recently closed a sizable funding round and won't need to raise again until late 2021.
- Our team has long had several remote employees, so we built our processes and platforms from the ground up to easily enable remote work.
- For now, we've gone fully remote to protect our team — though we'll return to our offices once it’s safe to do so.
As more families are forced to seek help from our nation’s broken social safety net, this work matters more than ever. We're continuing to grow and hire, with accommodations to our process to make sure that everyone involved stays safe.
This role will start remote (you can work from home), but you’ll need to be ready to work from our Los Angeles office once this pandemic is over. We won’t switch to in-person work until it’s safe for everyone to do so, and certainly not before Summer 2021.
How to Apply
Use the short form below. Questions? Email email@example.com.