At any given time, 15 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance could transform their lives. But today, most never get it. Atticus is a tech startup on a mission to change that.
We bridge the gap between the many people who need legal help and the few great lawyers who provide it. To our clients, we're the legal equivalent of a primary care doctor: we diagnose their issue, advise them on their options, and, if needed, refer them to a specialist — a vetted, top-tier lawyer who can win their case. To lawyers, we operate as a broker: we send them pre-vetted clients and earn a percentage of what they earn from winning each case.
Who are our clients? For now, our primary focus is on helping disabled people get government benefits. Our customers are among the 15 million American adults who have lost their ability to support themselves due to a severe illness or injury. They’re eligible for life-changing government support — a monthly check and health insurance — but a complicated system prevents most from qualifying. We help them understand their rights and find the help they need to get benefits.
Atticus was founded in 2018. Our team remains small, but we’ve served thousands of happy customers (see our 800+ 5-star reviews), generated substantial revenue, and raised $5.8 million from top venture capital investors. We’re the first of our kind: a mission-driven firm offering free legal services to ordinary people, driven by new technology and on track to build a huge and profitable business.
Each day, hundreds of people seek our help getting disability benefits. They’re intimidated by the process, unsure where to turn, and desperate for good advice.
As part of our CX team, your job is to get our customers on the right path. You’ll spend each day communicating with clients across multiple channels — phone, email, and text — to understand their situation and give them advice. You’ll work with them to identify the right lawyer in our network, or offer free advice on alternative resources. These interactions are deeply rewarding, and the customers you speak with will be profoundly grateful for your help.
On a typical day, our team communicates with hundreds of clients, each with a unique story. Half are new clients, with whom we talk to understand their cases, offer advice, and recommend lawyers. The other half are customers we’ve already referred to lawyers that require follow up or answers to questions. We use Salesforce, Twist, Front, and Aircall to manage our client interactions.
We are looking for enthusiastic team members who:
- Get energized by helping customers, and can communicate across multiple channels with speed and compassion.
- Are skilled at (and excited by) learning new CRM platforms to help manage our client interactions.
- Have the will and the skill to learn a complex field, and translate that understanding into critical advice for our clients.
This job is very different from traditional customer service or sales: our services are free, and clients are typically desperate for our help — so rarely will you have to talk down an angry customer or sell someone a service they don’t want. But you will have to navigate conversations on deeply personal and sad topics, gently guide our clients, and handle many different interactions over the course of a day.
Please note: you don’t need any prior legal knowledge or experience to excel in this job.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university.
- You have at least five years of work experience, and have achieved success in past jobs that involved talking to clients all day (CX, sales, support, hospitality, etc.).
- You’ve had a metrics-driven role where you monitored key measures for performance and satisfaction; you can set quantitative goals and achieve them.
- You can connect with people from all walks of life. You could explain a complex process to a client with limited education in plain terms, then relay her situation to a lawyer on our staff in professional terms.
- You’re a quick learner, able to master complex new topics and platforms when given instruction and support, and a fast and competent writer.
- You currently live in (or have plans to move to) the Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona area. (Unfortunately, we can’t provide relocation assistance for this role.)
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- You’ve previously worked at a fast-growing startup or particularly high-performing service/sales/support team from a company known for their amazing customer service.
- You have experience using Salesforce, Twist, Front, or Aircall.
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in law and tech, we’d love to meet you!
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, great backers, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch a lot of lives.
We offer competitive pay (including equity) and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered (vision is also offered)
- 15 vacation days & ~14 paid holidays each year
- Free memberships to ClassPass and OneMedical
- 401(k) and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and occasional team dinners/events/retreats
- A future office in Scottsdale/Phoenix area, with home office in LA's Arts District
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
Note on COVID-19
In turbulent times, you'd be right to worry about working at a startup. Thankfully though, Atticus has remained strong throughout this crisis:
- Since most of our business involves helping people who are out of work, this is a rare field that grows during recessions, and we’ve seen an influx of new customers.
- We recently closed a sizable funding round and won't need to raise again until late 2021.
- Our team has long had several remote employees, so we built our processes and platforms from the ground up to easily enable remote work.
- For now, we've gone fully remote to protect our team — though we'll return to our offices once it’s safe to do so.
As more families are forced to seek help from our nation’s broken social safety net, this work matters more than ever. We're continuing to grow and hire, with accommodations to our process to make sure that everyone involved stays safe.
This role will start remote (you can work from home), but you’ll need to be ready to work from an office in the Phoenix area once this pandemic is over. We won’t switch to in-person work until it’s safe for everyone to do so, and certainly not before Summer 2021.
How to Apply
Use the short form below. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.