At any given time, 15 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance could transform their lives. But today, most never get it. Atticus is a startup on a mission to change that.
We use a marketplace model to bridge the gap between the many ordinary people who need legal help and the few great lawyers who provide it. To our clients, we're the legal equivalent of a primary care doctor: We diagnose their issue, advise them on their options, and, if needed, refer them to a specialist — a vetted, top-tier lawyer who can win their case. To lawyers, we operate as a broker: we send them pre-vetted clients and earn a percentage of what they make from each successful representation. All our services are free to individuals.
Who are our clients? We’ve helped immigrants facing deportation, employees sexually harassed by their bosses, and drivers hospitalized after awful car accidents. For now, though, our primary focus is on helping disabled people get government benefits. Our customers are among the 15 million American adults who have lost their ability to support themselves due to a severe illness or injury. They’re eligible for life-changing government support — a monthly check and health insurance — but a byzantine system prevents most from qualifying. We help them understand their rights and find the help they need to get benefits.
Atticus was founded in 2018. Our team remains small — we’ll grow from 10 to 16 people this year — but we’ve served thousands of happy customers (see our 600+ 5-star reviews), generated substantial revenue, and raised $5.8 million from top venture capital investors. We’re the first of our kind: a mission-driven firm offering free legal services to ordinary people, driven by new technology and on track to build a huge and profitable business.
Atticus is using technology to automate two things that have never been automated before: (1) offering high-quality, accurate legal advice to ordinary people, and (2) connecting ordinary people to great lawyers in a way that empowers both groups. Doing this in a simple, human, scalable way is a technical challenge.
If you choose to join us, you'll be:
- Helping us build our client- and lawyer-facing web applications and APIs using our core languages and technologies (see below).
- Collaborating with the team during all phases of the software lifecycle including architecting, designing, implementing, reviewing, and testing
- Using and promoting best practices, particularly test coverage, to help us minimize our technical debt.
- Joining in the hiring process and helping to choose your colleagues as the company grows.
- Prismic (headless CMS)
- Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in a work or academic setting building and using either ReST or GraphQL-based APIs
- Experience in a work or academic setting with PostgreSQL, MySQL, or other SQL-based database technology
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- Previous experience building consumer web applications, or a consumer- or SMB-facing marketplace/platform
- Previous experience working at a fast-scaling startup
- Experience in a work or academic setting with React, Redux, Node.js, Heroku, Google Cloud Platform
- Open-source software contributions
We have a strong commitment to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d particularly love to meet you.
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup with strong traction - substantial funding, great backers, and many happy customers - but is still small. Your work will have an outsized impact and you'll play a role in shaping our team and culture as we grow.
Atticus is a certified B Corporation and we're tackling a critical social problem. Your work here will touch a lot of lives.
If you join us you'll get great pay, early-stage equity, and benefits:
- Health insurance with 100% of premiums covered
- 15 vacation days & ~14 paid holidays each year
- Free memberships to ClassPass, TalkSpace, and OneMedical
- 401(k) and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and occasional team dinners/events/retreats (COVID-allowing)
- A beautiful office in LA's Arts District (across from Salt & Straw)
- Free parking or a Metro Pass
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
Note on COVID-19
In turbulent times, you'd be right to worry about working at a startup. Thankfully though, Atticus will remain strong through this crisis:
- Since most of our business involves helping people who are out of work, this is a rare field that grows markedly during recessions.
- We closed a sizable funding round at the end of last year and won't need to raise again until late 2021.
- Our team already has several employees outside LA, so we’ve built our processes and platforms from the ground up to easily enable remote work.
- For now, we've gone fully remote to protect our team (though we'll return to our office once the crisis is over).
- In keeping with our values, we’ve always offered every team member unlimited sick leave.
As more families are forced to seek help from our nation’s broken social safety net, this work matters more than ever. We're continuing to hire as planned, with a fully remote interview process to ensure that everyone involved stays safe.
How to Apply
Use the short form below. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.