Mobility: Office based with occasional travel as required, and flexibility to work part of the week remotely.
Hours: Full time, with full flexibility to meet the demands of the job, whether in or out of core office hours, private/company events and occasional unsociable hours
Atomico is one of Europe’s largest venture capital firms founded in 2006 by Niklas Zennstrom.
We are building the leading European technology investment platform. We are at the centre of the European technology ecosystem and are passionate about continuing to build that ecosystem. We want to be the investor of choice for the most ambitious founders trying to solve world problems at scale. The only way to realise that ambition is to be an employer of choice for the best talent - our most important investment is our team.
If you want to be part of a team committed to partnering with game-changing founders, then Atomico is the place for you.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Our goal is to be the leading and top-performing European technology investment platform, built on a strategy of becoming the investor of choice, the employer of choice and the sharpest investor. To this end, we have invested heavily in our data and software engineering capabilities as we strongly believe that this contributes materially to achieving our investment objectives and to meaningfully enhance the productivity and consistency of our investment team.
To meet our ambition, we are now scaling our data-driven investment operations and hiring a dedicated data scientist to work in close collaboration with our Investment team and our existing in-house Engineering and Insights teams to support our investment operations with world-class, data-driven intelligence.
The role will have responsibility for defining and guiding the implementation (in collaboration with our Engineering and Insights teams) of how we use data to generate signals that support our investment operations, including pipeline management for new investments, as well as monitoring of our existing portfolio.
The candidate will play an important role in shaping our overall data strategy, including: sourcing and evaluating new datasets; defining and prioritising our overall data ingestion roadmap; informing our software workflow designs to generate proprietary datasets. The candidate is also expected to support the progress of our data-driven investment operations by supporting the measurement and reporting of our activities.
The candidate will be expected to leverage Atomico’s reputation and relationships in order to stay connected with other practitioners in this field and ensure that our efforts represent leadership in the field.
- Ability to turn unstructured data business problems into data science projects and to ask the right questions to guide modelling and analysis
- Build statistically compelling evidence to support ideas to solve these projects/questions
- Collaborate with relevant teams to ensure insights generated from data science projects are operationalised (scalable, repeatable)
- Move proof of concept models into production with the support of engineering
- Own the model building roadmap, including defining target metrics that we want to optimise
- Communicate insights to relevant stakeholders
- Ability to explain and communicate complex data ideas to non-technical stakeholders
- Source, evaluate and select new datasets
- Identify opportunities to build our own internal and proprietary datasets
- Ensure datasets are ingested appropriately to support data science needs
- Input into data engineering processes to optimise our data stack
- Build relationships with other relevant data science practitioners in venture capital
- Ensure that we are applying best practice in all our data science efforts
Candidate skills & experience
- Statistics: You have a background in statistics and have proven experience (3+ years of experience in a relevant field) building statistical models to analyse data at scale and solve business problems
- Machine learning: You understand and can use basic Machine Learning concepts (supervised/unsupervised/semi-supervised/reinforcement learning, feature selection, model evaluation, optimisation strategies etc.) and can apply and explain these ideas appropriately when a suitable problem presents itself
- Tools of the trade: You have experience in the programming and query languages, and associated libraries (e.g. Python, R, etc) that are the necessary to produce world-class data science
- Visualising your insights: You’re able to visualise and communicate the outcomes of your data science work in ways that are accessible to non-technical stakeholders, e.g. data visualisation tools (Google Data Studio) and presentation or spreadsheet applications (e.g. Google Docs)
- Ability to tell stories with data: You love the power of data and logical reasoning to connect dots, unlocking its secrets and telling its story, so that others are empowered by the new-found knowledge and can look into the future.
- Powers of persuasion: Autonomous and capable of defending ideas in front of a variety of stakeholders at the company
- Passion for the problem: We’re more interested in your passion for the problem than explicit prior experience of working on it. So even though it’s a bonus if you have prior experience of using data to source and evaluate companies within an investment environment (e.g. VC, private equity, hedge fund, etc), we also believe that the strongest candidates will be able to cross domains and still be highly effective.
- Bias to action: You have an entrepreneurial mindset, you like to roll up your sleeves to get the job done and are comfortable moving fast and adapting to an ever-changing environment.
- Creative problem solver: You have an ability to overcome challenges, adapt to constraints and look for creative solutions to problems.
- Curiosity and growth mindset: You are committed to learning and developing yourself and your curiosity to generate and explore new ideas is rarely, if ever, satisfied.
- Managing relationships: You understand how to build strong interpersonal relationships within a diverse group of decision-makers and teams and are able to contribute effectively, whoever is around you
- Time and project management: You understand your time is your most valuable asset and you set and manage your priorities on that basis. You like to see things through until completion, and you are not happy when something is started but not taken to an appropriate conclusion
- Track record: Your passion and commitment has helped you to frequently overcome challenges and exceed people’s expectations, including in your professional career to date
- Humble: You recognise that if you *think* you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re probably in the wrong room. You are modest about your abilities, but you are confident to use them to improve the way things get done around you
WHAT YOU'LL RECEIVE FROM US:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to: private medical insurance, 10% non contributory pension contribution, generous fitness subsidy, health & wellbeing support, unlimited holiday, daily lunch allowance and competitive family-friendly benefits to support working parents
- Access to training & development opportunities relevant to the role
The information provided in this job description is not contractual and is subject to change in line with the needs of the business and market forces. The role-holder’s duties include but are not limited to those outlined above. The role-holder is expected to carry out any other duties as may reasonably be requested of them or as may be additionally assigned to the role from time to time.