We are looking for an experienced Character Groom Artist to join our team on an exciting CG Production!
Atomic Cartoons Inc. is an award-winning animation studio with locations in Vancouver's Mt. Pleasant Animation District, Ottawa's Hintonburg neighborhood and LA. Since its inception over 20 years ago, Atomic Cartoons has created and produced numerous 2D and CG animation productions including Last Kids on Earth and Hello Ninja. Atomic is well known for its artist-friendly culture and flexible work environment. We are always looking for artists of all levels to join our team!
What You Will Do:
- Design and style CG hair and fur grooms for digital characters and creatures.
- Work with the Character Effects Artists and Rigging Team to establish procedures for grooms to animate via animatable rig, not simulation.
- Work creatively to achieve the specific show style.
- Troubleshoot and provide revisions based on supervisor and/or client feedback.
- Optimize and deliver guide curves and/or geometry to modeling, and rigging aid in workflow and visualization.
- Work with our team to develop techniques and workflows to ensure that grooms will integrate into production pipelines.
- Mentor the modeling team in their understanding of hair and its relation to reference geometry to speed up the model and Groom approval process.
- Help ensure weekly assigned quotas and expectations are met by the team. Lead, teach and guide a team of Groom Artists to create the assigned show style.
- Work closely with the Production Coordinator to proactively flag and problem-solve any potential issues.
- Assist our DFX Supervisor in the development of the overall Groom pipeline.
What We Are Looking For:
- Strong knowledge in Yeti, xGen, Ornatrix, and/or other Groom systems.
- Basic understanding of rigging, modeling and geometry deformers.
- Familiarity with various operating systems (e.g. Linux, Windows).
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of development and production.
- Strong focus on design and creation of grooms for characters and animals with an eye for how hair and fur look, and behave.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to Mentor, motivate, and lead by example less experienced artists, while having a great attitude!
- Comfortable working with production on task assignment of the team.
- Strong knowledge of Maya and Houdini is an asset.
- Ability to create scripts with MEL, Python, SExpr, and development of tools is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of RenderMan or other ray-based render engines is an asset.
- Currently legally eligible to work in Canada.
- BC residents are preferred for this role.
Start Date: ASAP 2022
Atomic Cartoons Inc. and Thunderbird Entertainment welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Show us what you would like to contribute to Atomic by providing us with relevant examples of your previous work along with your resume and cover letter.
We thank you for your submission; only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.