The Character FX (CFX) Supervisor oversees and guides the development and implementation of the cloth, hair and fur department for our CG Productions at our Vancouver studio.
Atomic Cartoons Inc. is an award-winning animation studio with locations in Vancouver's Mt. Pleasant Animation District, Ottawa's Hintonburg neighborhood and LA. Since its inception over 20 years ago, Atomic Cartoons has created and produced numerous 2D and CG animation productions including Last Kids on Earth and Hello Ninja. Atomic is well known for its artist-friendly culture and flexible work environment. We are always looking for artists of all levels to join our team!
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Oversee creation of all show style assets meeting all technical and aesthetic standards for the project(s).
- Create, prioritize, bid, assign and regularly follow up on tasks and the advancement of the team’s work with regards to show deliverables.
- Provide direction and technical guidance to the cfx/groom teams.
- Educate and train teams on latest workflows for CG.
- Help influence and review training wikis/videos.
- Work with the Character Effects Artists and Rigging Team to establish procedures for grooms to animate either via simulation of animatable rig.
- Optimize the workflow for the delivery of curves and/or geometry to Modeling, Rigging and Character Effects to aid in workflow and visualization.
- Work with the team to develop techniques and workflows to ensure that grooms will integrate into production pipelines.
- Guide the modeling team in their understanding of hair and how they can build better reference geometry to aid in quicker model approval and in aiding the groom artists in generating from clear reference.
- Meet production deadlines and maintain regular communication with the production team.
- Assists the DFX Supervisor in the development of the overall Groom pipeline.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong knowledge of Maya and Houdini.
- Strong knowledge in Yeti, xGen, Ornatrix, and/or other Groom systems.
- Basic understanding of rigging, modeling and geometry deformers.
- Familiarity with various operating systems (e.g. Linux, Windows).
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of development and production.
- Strong focus on design and creation of grooms for characters and animals with an eye for how hair and fur look and behave.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to create scripts with MEL, VEX, Python, basic C Shell scripting, Perl, C++ and development of tools is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of RenderMan or other ray-based render engines is considered an asset.
- Currently legally entitled to work in Canada.
- BC residents are preferred for this role.
START DATE: TBD
Atomic Cartoons Inc. and Thunderbird Entertainment welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Show us what you would like to contribute to Atomic by providing us with relevant examples of your previous work along with your resume and cover letter.
We thank you for your submission; only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.