A Look Development Artist works with the Look Development Lead or Supervisor to define all the technical and creative needs to construct the appearance for CG assets. The Look Development Artist uses a variety of tools and Renderman to satisfy a production’s creative needs.
Atomic Cartoons Inc. is an award-winning animation studio with locations in Vancouver's Mt. Pleasant Animation District, Ottawa's Hintonburg neighbourhood and LA. Since its inception over 20 years ago, Atomic Cartoons has created and produced numerous 2D and CG animation productions including Last Kids on Earth and Hello Ninja. Atomic is well known for its artist-friendly culture and flexible work environment. We are always looking for artists of all levels to join our team!
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with the show supervisors to create final looks, templates, and materials for CG characters and environments to be used in production and interpret artistic direction from Supervisors.
- Work with the lead or supervisor of a show, define shader requirements, create shader networks in Renderman for Maya and Katana, modify shader parameters, apply texture maps, and iteratively refine the look to accomplish the art direction goals and integrate solutions into production pipeline.
- Participate as a team member in determining the various design and technical solutions.
- Responsible for creating all texture maps for application to creatures, props, and environments.
- Work with a team of artists in a hands-on capacity to ensure technically and artistically proper implementation of look developed assets.
- Keep other supervisors apprised of issues arising in pre-production and shot production and offer creative solutions to those issues.
- Maintains or exceeds a consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high-quality work.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Proficient in Maya, Mari and/or Substance Painter, Photoshop, Zbrush and/or Mudbox.
- Ability to communicate creative and technical ideas.
- Excellent visual skills and attention to detail.
- Industry experience (Animation and/or Visual Effects) is an asset.
- Knowledge of Renderman ia an asset.
- Katana knowledge is an asset.
- Linux operating system experience is an asset.
- Substance Designer knowledge is an asset.
- Modeling skills are an asset.
- Experience with Python scripting is an asset.
- Experience using Shotgun for production tracking, submitting and publishing is an asset.
- Currently legally eligible to work in Canada.
- BC resident preferred.
START DATE: January 2021
Atomic Cartoons Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Show us what you would like to contribute to Atomic by providing us with relevant examples of your previous work along with your resume and cover letter.
We thank you for your submission; only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.