We are looking for a Character Groom Artist to join our team and assist in the development and implementation of a new cloth, hair and fur department for our CG Productions at our Vancouver studio.
Atomic Cartoons Inc. is an award-winning animation studio with locations in Vancouver's Mt. Pleasant Animation District, Ottawa's Hintonburg neighborhood and LA. Since its inception 20 years ago, Atomic Cartoons has created and produced numerous 2D and CG animation productions including Last Kids on Earth and Hello Ninja. Atomic is well known for its artist-friendly culture and flexible work environment. We are always looking for artists of all levels to join our team!
Atomic Cartoons Inc.
123 West 7th Ave
Vancouver BC, V5Y 1L8
Project based (End Date June 25, 2021)
Wage range $960 to $1,600/Weekly CAD
Language in work environment - English
Benefits per company policy; RRSP's
What You Will Do:
- Design and style CG hair and fur groom for digital characters and creatures.
- Work with the Character Effects Artists and Rigging Team to establish procedures for grooms to animate either via simulation of animatable rig.
- Creatively work to achieve art direction for an asset or shot.
- Troubleshoot and provide revisions based on supervisor and/or client feedback.
- Optimize and deliver curves and/or geometry to Modeling, Rigging and Character Effects to aid in workflow and visualization.
- Work with our team to develop techniques and workflows to ensure that grooms will integrate into production pipelines.
- Mentor the modeling team in their understanding of hair and its relation to reference geometry to speed up the model approval process.
- Meet production deadlines and maintain regular communication with the production team.
- Assist our DFX Supervisor in the development of the overall Groom pipeline.
- Help conceptualize and produce graphic art and visual materials for animated tv shows and films.
What We Are Looking For:
- Strong knowledge in Yeti, xGen, Ornatrix, and/or other Groom systems.
- Basic understanding of rigging, modeling and geometry deformers.
- Familiarity with various operating systems (e.g. Linux, Windows).
- Strong knowledge of Maya and Houdini is an asset
- Ability to create scripts with MEL, VEX, Python, basic C Shell scripting, Perl, C++ and development of tools is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of RenderMan or other ray-based render engines is an asset.
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of development and production.
- Strong focus on design and creation of grooms for characters and animals with an eye for how hair and fur look, and behave.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Currently legally entitled to work in Canada
- BC residents preferred, must be able to work in-house at our Vancouver studio
START DATE: ASAP 2020
Show us what you would like to contribute to Atomic by providing us with relevant examples of your previous work along with your resume and cover letter. Please apply with your Resume, Cover Letter, and link to your Portfolio.
We thank you for your submission; only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.