Atlas AI generates actionable intelligence on agricultural and economic trends across the developing world. Spun out of Stanford and founded in partnership with the Rockefeller Foundation, we are a well funded AI start-up focused on social impact. Our products support decision-makers in emerging markets and across the global development sector. This is a rare opportunity to have a significant impact on the evolution of the company. You will be part of a big mission and a small team contributing to global sustainable development.
As our Engineering Director you will be responsible for building our core software engineering team that will build, deliver and maintain our product. You will bring significant product engineering expertise and in addition to building the product and the team, you will be responsible for crafting and guarding a positive, inclusive engineering culture. You will also be responsible for building our engineering and dev ops processes so that we can deliver our product and its updates in a systematic, efficient way as we scale the company. We are looking for a seasoned, hands-on leader with a passion for engineering excellence.
These are the things we’d like you to do:
- Build our engineering team.
- Build our engineering processes.
- Build our product in close collaboration with the CTO and the Head of Product.
- Build our product delivery capability and pipeline.
- Work collaboratively with and as a member of the executive team.
These are the skills we’d like you to have:
- 5+ years of experience working in software engineering leadership roles.
- Deep agile development expertise including tools and methodologies.
- Track record of delivering sophisticated web and data software products on time and
- Proven capability to hire and retain top software engineering talent.
- A strong track record of creating and fostering an inclusive engineering culture.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with emphasis on team collaboration and ability to influence across functions and drive consensus.
- Deep knowledge of and experience in full stack web development technologies.
- System Infrastructure
- Data warehousing, management, and operations
- API and backend development
- Front-end and web development
- Knowledge of cloud-based architectures and services across the whole stack (preferably GCP).
- Hands on coder.
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques, geospatial data and applications.
- Entrepreneurial with scaling experience.
- Intellectually curious with a strong work ethic and proven ability to work in a time-sensitive and deadline-driven environment.
- Self-starter comfortable working independently and in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
- BA, BS or equivalent undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering degree; Masters preferred.
These skills are big pluses:
- Demonstrable experience in building and delivering software in Geospatial Analytics
- Scrum Master certification
- Experience in startup environments
- Passionate about making a difference in developing nations and helping the
Our office is in downtown Palo Alto in the heart of Silicon Valley, right in the middle of our ecosystem. We offer a casual and inclusive working environment, competitive compensation and great benefits. We are a “people first” company and it shows.