Senior Product Manager
Atlas AI generates actionable intelligence on agricultural and economic trends across the developing world. Spun out of Stanford and founded in partnership with the Rockefeller Foundation, we are an AI start-up focused on social impact. Our products support decision-makers in emerging markets and across the global development sector. This is a rare opportunity to have a significant impact on the evolution of the company. You will be part of a big mission and a small but sophisticated team working to improve the lives of millions of people around the world.
As our Senior Product Manager, you will be responsible for defining the product and prioritizing the MVP and subsequent feature sets that the engineering team builds. You will be hands on and you will own the product roadmap. We’ll expect you to drive and manage the engineering team’s backlog and work closely with sales on business development. The ideal candidate will have deep knowledge of the markets and geos we want to serve as well as experience in one or more of these sectors preferably in the African context: international development, agriculture, or financial services. We highly value existing relationships with development agencies, multilateral institutions, governments as well as NGOs.
Our office is in downtown Palo Alto in the heart of Silicon Valley, right in the middle of our ecosystem. We are a “people first” company founded by world leading experts in AI, remote sensing, agriculture, and economics. We offer a cool working environment, competitive compensation, great benefits, and the opportunity to build category-defining technology that actually makes a difference. While we will love having you in the office, you should be comfortable with significant domestic and international travel. This is definitely a roll up your sleeves role.
These are the things we’d like you to do:
- Drive product strategy. Own the product feature prioritization process—presenting data-driven rationale for product decisions. Be able to articulate rationale for feature prioritization and be able to say “no” to secondary items.
- Own the product roadmap, product scoping, and documentation.
- Develop product specifications and requirements, evaluating new product ideas and contributing to platform creation and feature sets.
- Drive and manage the engineering team backlog.
- Drive company understanding of the evolving competitive landscape.
- Conduct and coordinate the research needed to deeply understand customer and evolving market needs in order to develop product requirements, specifications, schedules, and pricing.
- Own our partnerships with governments, NGOs and commercial partners.
- Own user testing and our alpha and beta testing programs.
- Implement and drive the third party app developer ecosystem around our data set products.
- Be our evangelist. Communicate product strategy to customers relevant and other stakeholders. Provide regular management updates on product development and feature prioritization. Drive communications around our product.
- Develop product go-to-market strategies in collaboration with the sales team.
- Work closely with product development, sales, management to determine product pricing. Contribute to evolving business model development.
- Support business development by calling on customers, industry experts, key analysts, etc. Bridge the internal and external knowledge bases, analyzing data and business intelligence to inform the product evolution and roadmaps.
- Work collaboratively with the technical team and the founders to write commercial and government funding proposals.
These are the skills we’d like you to have:
- MBA is ideal. BA, BS or equivalent undergraduate degree.
- 2-5 years of product management experience, preferably with a technology company creating software platforms.
- Significant experience with agile software development methodologies and tools
- Deep experience in one or more of these technology domains: Artificial Intelligence, Earth System Science, Computer Science, Food Security and the Environment, Agricultural Development, Machine Learning, Satellite data
- Experience working with NGOs and global sustainable development projects
- Knowledge of global development, agriculture and financial services in emerging markets, specifically Africa.
- Solid strategic and problem-solving skills that can effectively influence the decision-making process.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills and growth mind-set.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with emphasis on team collaboration and ability to influence across functions and drive consensus.
- Self-starter comfortable working independently and in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
- Independent, proactive and comfortable asking the hard questions
- Passionate about making a difference in developing nations and helping the underserved
- Believe that businesses can create powerful change in emerging markets, and that long-term financial stability and growth of any business is a critical first step to creating meaningful social and environmental impact
These skills are big pluses:
- Experience in building and sustaining 3rd party developer ecosystems.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the design process, including user research, interaction and visual design.
- Experience with writing DARPA and NSF proposals
- Strong relationships within the international development sector.