2D Game Artist Co-op (May - Aug 2023)
This is an exciting opportunity for a current Art student at a Canadian post secondary institution graduating later than September 2023 looking to gain experience at a mobile game studio. Your work will play an essential role in creating exciting new content that millions of people love and use every day. You will have the chance to learn about the entire mobile game production pipeline and create art that will be used and seen by millions of players around the world. You will join a team that is operating a live mobile game, and will work with game designers, engineers and resident artists.
Things you will work on
- Creating production-level concepts, art assets, backgrounds and characters
- Contributing to the creation of different in-game events and promotions
- Working side-by-side with our resident artists to create 2D or 3D art for our existing products
- The ability to conceptualize various art styles and genres - and your portfolio shows this!
- Experience working in Photoshop
- A strong understanding of art principles and elements
- A genuine interest in the social mobile gaming industry
- Excellent communication and time management skills
Some other things that help are
- Experience working on any games
- 2D and/or 3D animation experience
- Maya or another 3D program
- Professional experience in collaborative, cross-functional environments
- An interest in fashion and/or design
What to include in your application
- Yes, we do need your resume 😊
- Your portfolio - show us your work from school, internships and any personal work you’ve done on your own, at a game jam or anywhere else
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail – you experiment and learn from your mistakes
About A Thinking Ape
A Thinking Ape is fully committed to diversity and inclusion; of our new hires in 2021, 49% were women or non-binary. We released our first game in 2009, and have been profitable ever since. Our teams are friendly, open to challenging themselves and everyone's ideas are heard based on our core value of having wonderful arguments. Our people leaders work with us individually to support our development, keep growing is another of our core values.
We’re working remotely across Canada, we’ll supply the equipment you need to do your work, and stipends to set up your workspace. We have a very flexible work schedule
Apply now to join us!