Narrative Designer - Intermediate
You! Yes, you, with the shirt! Do you have stellar game writing skills? Do you know your way around git branches and deployment processes as well as you know your way around creating bingeable narrative arcs? Then you’re the Narrative Designer - Creative Writing & Technical Data we’ve been looking for! This position is remote in North America.
We’re looking for a Narrative Designer to join us in crafting hype-fueled, deliciously dramatic, character-driven stories for our latest game, Single City! Single City is a unique strategy march game where influence is the ultimate goal. Flirt, flex, and flaunt your way through encounters in the big city, causing drama for your rivals while you gather followers. More friends and followers means more clout, which means more power!
Some of what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Content Planning: Own the narrative pipeline of Single City, working closely with all disciplines to brainstorm, gather requirements, solve problems, iterate on ideas, write storylines and dialogue, and ship that sweet content
- Content Authoring: Implement story design data and dialogue data in spreadsheets, iterate upon feedback, deploy your data to git branches, test your data in Unity on a development server, and eventually ship that sparkling story data to production
- Content Monitoring: Analyze the performance of narrative content using SQL/Big Query, and make metrics-driven decisions on future narrative content releases and storytelling experiments
- Content Coaching Give radically candid feedback on stories, art, designs, gameplay, and features during development, as well as feedback on released content from the perspective of a player
The tools we use:
- Google Suite
- Demonstrated experience (at least 4 years) in game writing AND narrative design for live games as a service (GaaS)
- Top-notch creative writing skills (in American English)
- No diva ego – willing to “kill your darlings”
- Technical aptitude with git and Unity (or another game development engine)
- Masterful communication abilities
- Based in the US or Canada and able to work within core hours (11 AM - 4 PM Pacific Time)
- A cute pet that can make appearances on Zoom (OK, maybe not required, but a very nice-to-have!)
What we offer:
- Check out our benefits and perks on our website!
- Flexible work schedule - drop your kids off at school, go to the dentist, take a long lunch; we trust you’ll make up the time!
- Competitive salary
- Profit-sharing bonuses when we hit our revenue goals
- Three weeks vacation
- Unlimited paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave
- Comprehensive, employer-paid health, vision, dental, life, and disability insurance
- An employee-organized and -led Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Taskforce that champions all things diverse, equitable, and inclusive at ATA
A Thinking Ape is fully committed to diversity and inclusion; of our new hires in 2021, 49% were women or non-binary. We released our first game in 2009, and have been profitable ever since. Our teams are friendly, open to challenging themselves and everyone's ideas are heard based on our core value of having wonderful arguments. Our people leaders work with us individually to support our development, keep growing is another of our core values.
We’re working remotely across Canada, we’ll supply the equipment you need to do your work, and stipends to set up your workspace. We have a flexible work schedule, three weeks of vacation, unlimited sick days, and a generous health benefits package. Our full story is here. You’re very welcome to connect with our recruiter Ingrid on LinkedIn.