Our data team is the newest functional unit born inside the company consisting of data analysts and data engineers. As a team whose vision is to better inform decision making through insights from data, we lead many initiatives around building data-analytics pipelines that improve our efficiency in data acquisition, accessibility, and analysis. We collaborate closely with other disciplines from the marketing and product teams to provide critical support for the growth of our games.
As a Data Analyst Co-op, you will leverage your statistical knowledge and quantitative skills to analyze the performance of a live game and all aspects of the players’ experience. You will also share your discoveries to the live operations teams and drive cross-functional collaborations with people from different professional backgrounds to optimize and grow the game to its new heights. Being a member of the newest data team, you are going to have lots of opportunities to create a significant impact and to shape the future of the team and its operation.
All of our co-ops are provided with the same opportunities as our full time employees. We value a culture of meritocracy, and everything you do here will have a direct impact on our products and people. At the end of your term, you’ll be able to install a game on your phone, and point out the cool new changes influenced by insights you delivered.
Areas of work that co-ops have opportunities to contribute to:
- Analyzing and supporting the improvement of key performance indicators of a product, such as lifetime value, conversion, and retention.
- Building dashboards and reports at various levels of details with widely adopted BI tools like BigQuery or Looker to inform stakeholders’ decision making.
- Creating queries to help game designers, creatives, and community support representatives to get their most important business questions answered.
- Developing statistical models by flexing your data science muscle to improve business projections and forecasting.
Things that past analysts have worked on:
- Deconstructing top line metrics of a product and conducting root cause analysis to pinpoint the underlying factors that contribute to revenue changes.
- Defining and implementing a framework to quantitatively evaluate the impact of various early player behaviours have on target retention metrics to highlight areas of improvements.
- Building a set of dashboards for game designers to better understand in-game economy and monitoring the in/out flow of different kinds of currencies.
- Visualizing the distribution of players participating in certain in-game events and analyzing the leaderboard fill rate to guide tuning.
- Creating and automating product reports that summarize high-level changes for the ops team.
Who you are:
- You are currently pursuing a degree in data science, statistics, mathematics or similar.
- You have extensive experience in writing SQL queries and working with large datasets.
- You understand the fundamentals of statistics and are familiar with hypothesis testing and regression analysis.
- You excel at communication and collaboration with people from different backgrounds.
- You are passionate about mobile games already OR are excited to learn about them and what drives our players.
- You are an enthusiastic learner and take pride and responsibility in your work.
What to include in your application:
- Yes, we do need your resume 😊
- Link us to projects you’ve worked on or hard problems you’ve solved using your analytical skills. Those with visual presentations are even better!
- Tell us about any data competitions you’ve participated in.
Things that don't matter as much:
- Knowledge of specific data platforms or software
- Specific year level
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
We have committed to a remote first approach with access to in-person collaboration spaces in Vancouver. This means our roles are currently open to candidates who can work in Canada between the core hours of 11am - 4pm PST.
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
We build communities. To do this to the best of our abilities, we need a workforce that reflects the diverse player communities we serve. We believe a variety of perspectives and experiences allows us to make better decisions and understand the needs of our players. We work hard to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and feel like they belong at ATA.
Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification and let us know if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.