Who we are
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing and we are scaling our team to bring our games to more players.
A Thinking Ape was acquired by Swedish public company, Embracer Group AB, through its wholly owned subsidiary DECA Games. The acquisition marks an important milestone enabling A Thinking Ape to realize additional potential and accelerate organic growth.
The finance/accounting team at ATA is responsible for the entire finance function of the business. Internally they are responsible for maintaining and recording business transactions, employee payroll, as well as generating and delivering financial statements, budgets, forecasts and other reports to support our leadership team with decision making. They also work closely with external accounting firms on financial audits and tax return preparation. Since our recent acquisition this team is also responsible for creating various monthly, quarterly and annual reports under Swedish GAAP (and converting to IFRS in the near future) for our parent company Embracer Group AB.
Until now our finance department has been a small but mighty team of one consisting of our Financial Controller. With our recent acquisition and growth as a studio we have a higher volume of accounting tasks as well as more reporting standards and accountability as a subsidiary of a public company. In this role you will report to our Financial Controller and will be responsible for a variety of tasks including bookkeeping, A/P processing and employee payroll to start. As you grow in the role you will have the chance to create/improve processes as we scale, develop/prepare reports for our parent company and be involved in financial reporting, audits and more.
Things you will work on:
- Review and bookkeeping of business expenses, mainly employee reimbursements and expenses from various credit cards and bank accounts, making sure all transactions are recorded correctly, and proper documentation is maintained. Follow up on issues and questions.
- Responsible for accounts payable. Process payments and obtain approval in accordance with authorization and approval policies.
- Reconcile company credit card statements monthly.
- Research, implement and manage a new expense management system to simplify the employee expense reimbursement process.
- Assist the Financial Controller in month-end and year-end closing, including reconciliations of various accounts, depreciation schedules, and journal entries.
- Assist with annual financial audit, providing requested documents to the auditors and other audit requests.
- Draft and update accounting policies and procedure manuals.
- Propose process refinement and implement best practices.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
Who you are
You have experience and understanding of GAAP and compliance requirements from working in a bookkeeping, accounting and/or finance role. You are looking to gain exposure to more areas of a finance department while being responsible for bookkeeping, A/P processing and employee payroll. You are extremely organized, care about the smallest of details that others might miss, and are excited to learn and grow in this role and gain exposure to new areas of the finance department.
The primary qualifications we are looking for are:
- 2+ years of relevant experience in a bookkeeping, accounting and/or finance role
- Degree or diploma in accounting/finance or equivalent working experience
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and compliance requirements
- Excellent attention to detail without compromising deadlines
- Organized, disciplined thinker with ability to work independently in a rapidly changing environment
- Be a self-starter, have a positive attitude, maintain a solution-oriented work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong Excel knowledge (Pivot tables and VLookups)
- Proficient in QuickBooks Desktop, or QuickBooks Online
Some other things that help are:
- Worked in a startup environment in the past
We have committed to a remote first approach with access to our office/studio space in Vancouver for those who want it. Our intention is to use 2021 as the foundational year to develop our remote excellence and help shape the future of ATA. This role is open to candidates who can work within the province of BC during our core hours of 11am - 4pm PST.
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
We build communities. To do this to the best of our abilities, we need a workforce that reflects the diverse player communities we serve. We believe a variety of perspectives and experiences allows us to make better decisions and understand the needs of our players. We work hard to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and feel like they belong at ATA.
Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification and let us know if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.