Who we are
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing and we are scaling our team to bring our games to more players.
Our culture and environment are as important to us as our primary business, and they’re treated with the same priority as any of our customer-facing products. The People & Culture Team leverages a flywheel strategy focusing on four pillars: employer branding, recruitment, training and development and employee experience. As a core member you will help us on our mission of finding the best people externally so that we can build a strong connected community internally. Our team also works very closely with the finance team to support the overall business operations.
You will join the team that drives ATA’s culture in this dynamic role that touches on so many things. You’ll tackle a lot each day and check more things off your to-do list than you thought possible. Our Office Administrator is fundamental to our ecosystem in helping to support our finance and people operations side of our business. This role will report directly to the VP, People & Culture.
Things you will work on:
- Entry Level Bookkeeping and Accounting Tasks: You will work closely with our financial controller to support the finance department. You will own our expense management and employee reimbursement process, accounts payable and receivables and other financial transactions as needed (such as bank deposits, e-transfers, credit card reconciliations, cheque writing, etc.).
- Remote-First Studio Operations: Managing daily operations like inventory maintenance, supplies procurement and studio security systems. You will be the point of contact for many of our vendors and assist in scheduling and coordination of studio administration and related projects.
- HR Support: Be a key part of ensuring we deliver an A+ candidate and employee experience, including communicating with candidates and employees, drafting employee documents, managing insurance coverage, compliance policies, supporting benefits administration and assisting to onboard new employees.
- Team Culture and Events Support: Help us coordinate and facilitate amazing internal and external events, order custom swag and support our mission of building great communities.
- Additional administrative responsibilities as needed to support the people team flywheel and our executive team.
Who you are:
Above all else, you are extremely organized, care about the smallest of details that others might miss , and are passionate about working with people every day in all sorts of ways.
- You have a basic understanding of accounting principals and/or previous experience in a junior accounting, bookkeeping, or payroll support function.
- You are extremely attentive to details and very organized.
- You enjoy working with spreadsheets and numbers.
- You are a clear communicator, both written and verbal.
- You have experience with G Suite (including calendar management), Microsoft Office and Excel.
- You have fine tuned prioritization skills coupled with an ability to respond to competing demands.
- You are committed to building the best culture and work environment ever.
- You are an extremely organized self-starter open to new ideas.
- You are able to react and troubleshoot in a variety of situations.
Some other things that help are:
- Experience scheduling all kinds of things like meetings, events, vendor deliveries, etc.
- Experience ensuring compliance with licensing laws, health and safety and other statutory regulations.
- Worked as part of an accounting and or payroll team.
- Worked in a startup environment in the past.
- Are interested in/play mobile games.
We have committed to a remote first approach with access to in-person collaboration spaces in Vancouver when safe to do so. Our intention is to use 2021 as the foundational year to develop our remote excellence and help shape the future of ATA. This role will start as a remote position and will be required to work from our studio space in Vancouver when safe to do so.
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
We build communities. To do this to the best of our abilities, we need a workforce that reflects the diverse player communities we serve. We believe a variety of perspectives and experiences allows us to make better decisions and understand the needs of our players. We work hard to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and feel like they belong at ATA.
Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification and let us know if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.