A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing. We are scaling our marketing team and entering new markets to capitalize on this growth and bring our games to more players. Over 2018 we have seen extensive growth, and the combined year over year revenue growth for our games grew by 48%.
We are looking for a Senior Game Designer to join our team as we prepare for a year of explosive growth. You will be working with a full team of developers, artists, and community managers, along with support from our user acquisition and data science teams. Senior designers can expect to be working on system wide features and improvements as well as leading small, interdisciplinary teams and coaching junior designers.
Party in my Dorm is a highly popular free-to-play game in the midst of rapid growth. The game has the population of a small city, with a player driven trade economy, a passionate community and years of content. With a focus on fashion, relationships, stories and home decor, it often surprises people to learn that it’s also one of the most hardcore PVP games on the mobile market.
You will be working on Team Leviathan, our world-class live-ops team, which leads the industry in supporting and growing live games. We design, build, release and improve on huge new features and we aren’t afraid to try new things, take risks, and learn. The team is metrics driven and entirely autonomous in its decision making.
Things you will work on:
- Create new features and game systems that will help take Party in my Dorm to the next level and improve on existing ones to increase retention and monetization
- Balance virtual goods, game economies, in game currencies and new content
- Analyze user data and feedback to pitch and develop new content and game mechanics
- Build relationships with development and creative teams to facilitate idea generation and feature implementation
- Develop flows and processes to improve our content generation pipelines
- Champion new features by finding the best ideas, getting support from the team, and executing on a launch strategy that includes iteration and improvements
- Lead small teams of peers and take on a small number of reports
Who you are:
Above all else, you are someone who loves game systems and game economies. You have experience working in games and in the free-to-play business model. You understand the complexities of driving growth through leading game metrics and user acquisition. You understand the power of fashion, home decor and narrative games and how they operate in the market. You are passionate about creating communities and excited to build a community in the fashion and home decor genre.
The perfect candidate will also be a passionate, high level player in the free-to-play fashion, home decor design and life simulation games. You play them daily, understand how they monetize, and have a strong desire to be involved in creating one yourself. You understand how these games work and create long term value through content systems. You have a keen understanding of what it takes to have a thriving, healthy player community within a competitive game community.
The primary qualifications we're looking for are:
- Worked on a free-to-play life simulation, fashion, home decor, cooking or farming game and have a strong understanding of the game mechanics and monetization in this genre
- Driven the vision for a game and worked together with a team of designers, artists and engineers to bring it to reality
- Deep knowledge of systems design, combat balance and economy design
- Developed and launched new features, evaluated their success and iterated in a live environment
- Experience with live event creation and management
- Experience with data analysis, KPI impact analysis and metrics based decision making
- Experience working with customer feedback and growing game communities
- Understanding of mobile UX design including creating wireframes and user flows
- Understanding of prioritization of features and content including risk assessment
- Experience managing a team of designers
- You are a master at working with spreadsheets and understand the advantages of different approaches to organizing design data and getting it in game
Other things that help:
- SLG, Kingdom Builders, RPGs
- Fashion design or interior design domain knowledge
- Marketing/user acquisition
- Working with a large community on a live game
- Previous game design experience in other genres
- Basic finance (P&L)
- Visual design/art
- Narrative design
- People and team management
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. We are proud of the wonderful people, workplace and culture that ATA has fostered since its inception.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.