What is A Thinking Ape?
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable every year since - and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing. We are scaling our marketing team and entering new markets to capitalize on this growth and bring our games to more players. Over 2018 we have seen extensive growth, and the combined year over year revenue growth for our games grew by 48%.
What is the role?
We are looking for an Intermediate Game Designer to join our team as we prepare for a year of rapid growth. You will be working with a team of engineers, designers, artists, and community managers, along with support from our user acquisition and data science teams. You will help us scale up Party in my Dorm by releasing features and content to generate engagement and revenue, and by improving the game’s metrics.
What is the game?
Party in my Dorm is a social strategy game with a college theme. On the surface it has the feeling of a casual chat room, but for those who get deeply into it, it unfolds into one of the most hardcore mobile games on the market. It has hundreds of thousands of highly engaged players, co-op PVE raids, a true trade economy, PVP wars, unique experimental events, highly customizable content, and a narrative story engine; all built into one game.
What will you do as an Intermediate Mobile Game Designer?
- Balance game systems, virtual goods, and currencies to promote a stable and profitable game economy
- Develop new content, events, and game mechanics, bringing your vision to life by using a flexible foundation of tools and existing core mechanics controlled by data
- Work closely with the engineering, community, and creative teams to facilitate idea generation and feature implementation
- Champion new features by finding the best ideas, getting support from the team, and executing on a launch strategy that includes iteration and improvements
- Iterate on processes to improve our content generation and feature development pipelines
- Educate junior designers, and formulate design patterns to add to their workflow, design space, and efficiency.
- Analyze user data and feedback to improve on existing features and systems and increase retention and monetization
- Rise to every challenge, supercharge your own growth, and surprise yourself through coaching provided by our veteran senior team
Who are we looking for?
You have experience working in games in the free to play business model. You understand the complexities of driving growth through leading game metrics and user acquisition. You understand the power of Social games and how they operate in the market. You are passionate about creating communities and excited to build a community that spans both casual and hardcore players.
The perfect candidate will also be a passionate, intelligent problem solver. You play mobile games daily, understand how they monetize, and have a strong desire to be involved in creating new features on an established mobile game. You understand both elder game mechanics and how to balance them in a way that is not too punishing for newer players. You have a keen understanding of what it takes to have a thriving, healthy player community, and how to turn chaotic feedback into useful goals.
Above all else, you are someone who loves a challenge, wants to take ownership, and loves to solve a puzzle - and solve it thoroughly.
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are that you have:
- Driven features or in-game events together with a team of designers, artists and engineers to bring your vision to reality
- Launched new features or in-game events, evaluated their success and iterated in a live environment
- Deep knowledge of systems design, combat balance and economy design
- Experience with data analysis, KPI impact analysis and metrics based decision making
- Experience working with customer feedback and growing game communities
- Understanding of mobile UX design including creating wireframes and user flows
- Understanding of prioritization of features and content including risk assessment
- Ultra instinct-level spreadsheet powers
Other qualifications that help are:
- Worked on a free-to-play Social or Fashion game
- Worked with a large community on a live game
- Marketing/user acquisition
- Visual design/art
- Narrative design
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. We are proud of the wonderful people, workplace and culture that ATA has fostered since its inception.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.