What is A Thinking Ape?
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making.
What is the role?
Your work will play an essential role in creating exciting new content that millions of people love and use every day. You will have the chance to learn about the entire mobile game production pipeline and create art that will be used and seen by millions of players around the world. You will work across three of our live games with a focus on Party in my Dorm, a highly popular free-to-play game in the middle of rapid growth. You will be working on Team Leviathan which is home to our world-class live ops team. The team leads the industry in supporting and growing original IP games, some of which have occupied the Top Downloaded and Top Grossing charts. We design, build, release and improve on huge new features and we aren’t afraid to try new things, take risks, and learn.
What is the game?
Party in my Dorm is a social strategy game with a college theme. On the surface it has the feeling of a casual chat room, but for those who get deeply into it, it unfolds into one of the most hardcore mobile games on the market. It has hundreds of thousands of highly engaged players, co-op PVE raids, a true trade economy, PVP wars, unique experimental events, highly customizable content, and a narrative story engine; all built into one game.
What will you do as a 2D Game Artist?
- Create a variety of 2D assets, including characters, props and backgrounds, from concept to game ready art
- Contribute to visual development of new features and ideas being added to the game
- Collaborate with our in-house team of Product Designers, Artists and Animators to create new and exciting content for the PimD universe
- Contribute to projects outside the game such as promotional materials, animations, or marketing
Who are we looking for?
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are :
- You have a passion for creating art that matches the unique PimD tone and style and are up to date with current trends in fashion, music and pop culture with a portfolio that shows this!
- You have a strong understanding of art principles and elements
- You are interested in the social mobile gaming industry
- You are an excellent communicator and know how to manage your own time
- You have a solid understanding of the college/PimD audience and are passionate about creating designs for that world
- You enjoy creating compelling characters and worlds
Other qualifications that help are:
- Previous mobile or game experience
- 2D and/or 3D animation experience
- You have worked in collaborative, cross-functional environments
- Experience working in Photoshop, Flash, and/or After Effects
- Experience with 2D concepting, storyboarding or animation
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should…
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and well-being are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. We are proud of the wonderful people, workplace and culture that ATA has fostered since its inception.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.