This is an exciting opportunity for a recent graduate or current student looking to gain experience at a mobile game studio obsessed with building communities. Your work will play an essential role in creating exciting new content that millions of people love and use every day. You will have the chance to learn about the entire mobile game production pipeline and create art that will be used and seen by millions of players around the world.
You’ll be working on the Live Operations team, also known as Team Leviathan (all our teams are named after sea creatures). You will join a team made up of engineers, artists, and game designers working across our live games and will work in collaboration with many other roles on the team.
Things you will work on:
- Creating production-level concepts, art assets, backgrounds and characters
- Contributing to the creation of different in-game events and promotions
- Working side-by-side with our resident artists to create 2D art for our existing products
Who you are:
- You have the versatility to conceptualize various art styles and genres and your portfolio shows this!
- You have a strong understanding of art principles and elements
- You are interested in the social mobile gaming industry
- You are an excellent communicator and know how to manage your own time
Tell us if you:
- Have worked on any games
- You have 2D and/or 3D animation experience
- Have worked in collaborative, cross-functional environments
- Have any experience working in Photoshop
- Have an interest in fashion and/or design
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What to Include in Your Application:
- Yes, we do need your resume 😊
- Your portfolio - show us your work from school, internships and any personal work you’ve done on your own, at a game jam or anywhere else.
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games developer with big ambitions. We are a team of 65 people + 5 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver 🏔️. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars 🌮 are our favourite, but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating something that becomes a part of their lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give you the freedom to do your best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape all-hands meetings, mid-quarter updates with our leadership team, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular 1:1s with your lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA Co-Founder and CEO, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!