You will be working as an engineer on one of our product teams who are rapidly building communities through mobile games. You will work closely with artists and designers to grow our games from the population of a city to the population of an entire country. You will design services used by a large number of concurrent users, and implement scalable, reliable and maintainable technologies for both client and server. You will have a major impact on the end product, and will be involved in every aspect of its development. Millions of people will use what you create.
Engineers at ATA are involved in all aspects of the products we create. You will have the ability to influence the design and development of nearly everything that we build. You will be provided with challenging work to continuously improve and grow as we believe strongly in the continuous growth level of the human brain. Though we are language agnostic in our interview process some of the technologies we use in our games include: Django (Python), iOS (Objective-C), Android (Java) and Unity (C#).
Things you could work on:
- Build entire features from front-end client code to back-end server support. Many of our engineers are full stack!
- Become involved in every aspect of product development, from design to implementation to playtest to metrics analysis
- Create tools to automate and optimize processes across disciplines. These might be adding additional player management tools for our community team, data pipeline optimizations for our game designers, or even content pipelines for our art team.
- Infrastructure optimizations and tools for our in-house server deployment process
Who you are:
- You have an itch to make something people want and enjoy working on massive scale technical problems that reach a huge audience
- You are a tech generalist, a full stack engineer with the desire to work on both client and server side implementations of entire features
- You have a solid knowledge and understanding of mobile application architecture
- You communicate your thoughts and ideas clearly in code and in writing
- You have an interest in and play mobile gaming products
What to include in your application:
- Yes, we do need your resume 😊
- Link us to things you’ve built! - show us what you made (side projects, open source projects, hackathons, anything we missed?)
- Tell us about any competitions you’ve participated in
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games developer with big ambitions. We are a team of 65 people + 5 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver 🏔️. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars 🌮 are our favourite, but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating something that becomes a part of their lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give you the freedom to do your best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape all-hands meetings, mid-quarter updates with our leadership team, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular 1:1s with your lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA Co-Founder and CEO, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!