ATA is looking for an Art Lead to lead the creative team for our Live Games. As our games continue to grow, so does our game community’s desire for new and interesting content to engage with. Whether it’s adding a new feature in Party in my Dorm or creating a vampire cow statue for Kingdoms at War’s throne room, the need for creative content continues to expand. Working with our talented team of game artists, game designers and engineers, you will drive the creative vision across the entire team. You will be involved in decision making and strategy that will push our world-class Live Games creative to the next level. Your leadership and mentoring will raise the bar of all the artists and together with the team, bring the creative vision of the games to life.
You will be working on Team Leviathan which is home to our world-class live games team. The team leads the industry in supporting and growing games, some of which have occupied the Top Downloaded and Top Grossing charts historically. We design, build, release and improve on huge new features and we aren’t afraid to try new things, take risks, and learn. The team is metrics driven and entirely autonomous in it’s decision making.
Things you will work on:
- You are responsible for the overall tone and visual style of the creative
- Manage team of in house artists and outsource contractors
- Lead and mentor a small art team - provide direction and feedback to a team of artists to help guide and grow their careers
- Hands-on with concepts and execute on assets
- Work with product and tech leads to coordinate the production of new features and live operation art needs
- Collaborate with marketing on various ad campaigns or promotional material
- Create benchmark concepts for variety of game assets including characters, backgrounds and various other game assets
Who you are:
- Experience creating artwork for games
- Ability to lead, mentor and inspire a team of artists
- Knowledge of art pipelines for games
- Experience managing and mentoring artists
- Experience with developing and/or maintaining art style for a project
- Good communication and collaboration between disciplines and teams
Tell us if you:
- Have launched a mobile game in a senior role or above
- Have relevant experience in similar industries (console, TV or Film Animation, etc)
- Have any additional skills sets such as animation, motion graphics, illustration, 3D graphics, storyboarding, UI/UX design
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games developer with big ambitions. We are a team of 65 people + 5 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver 🏔️. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars 🌮 are our favourite, but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating something that becomes a part of their lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give you the freedom to do your best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape all-hands meetings, mid-quarter updates with our leadership team, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular 1:1s with your lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA Co-Founder and CEO, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!