What is A Thinking Ape?
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making.
What is the role?
As our games continue to grow, so does our game community’s desire for new and interesting content to engage with. Whether it’s adding a new feature in PimD or a creating a vampire cow statue for Kingdoms at War’s throne room, the need for creative content continues to expand. Working with our talented team of game artists, game designers and engineers you will own creative tasks from leading brainstorms, creating concepts and producing high quality in-game assets. With a focus on 2D characters you will push the quality of those around you by providing mentorship and guidance to junior artists.
What is the game?
Party in my Dorm is a social strategy game with a college theme. On the surface it has the feeling of a casual chat room, but for those who get deeply into it, it unfolds into one of the most hardcore mobile games on the market. It has hundreds of thousands of highly engaged players, co-op PVE raids, a true trade economy, PVP wars, unique experimental events, highly customizable content, and a narrative story engine; all built into one game.
What will you do as a Senior 2D Game Artist?
- Own creative tasks from early concept to in game assets, consistently delivering at a high quality
- Create appealing and functional 2D characters, backgrounds and props that complement and contribute to game performance
- Lead and contribute to brainstorming sessions for new content
- Provide direction and feedback for outsource studios and other external partners
- Provide mentorship to junior artists within your discipline
- Collaborate with marketing on various ad campaigns or promotional material
- Create benchmark concepts for a variety of game assets including characters, backgrounds and others
Who are we looking for?
The primary qualifications we are looking for are:
- Experience creating artwork for games
- Knowledge of art pipelines for games
- Experience mentoring junior artists
- Experience with developing and/or maintaining art style for a project
- Strong sense of design, colour, lighting, form and composition
- Understanding of technical constraints and performance optimization for mobile games
- Good communication and collaboration between disciplines and teams
- Passion for games, especially mobile games
Other qualifications that help are:
- Have launched a mobile game in a senior role or above
- Have any additional skills sets such as animation, motion graphics, illustration, 3D graphics, storyboarding, UI/UX design
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and well being are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. We are proud of the wonderful people, workplace and culture that ATA has fostered since its inception.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.