ATA is looking for an Art Director for our newest game, Kingdoms of Heckfire! We need your creative vision and leadership to grow the ever expanding Heckfire universe. Along with a talented team of game artists, animators and UI/UX designers, you will be responsible for both driving the creative vision and creating new forms of content and features for our players to enjoy. We’re a small, passionate team so this is an opportunity to take a ton of ownership, get your hands dirty at every level, see your weird ideas come to life and raise the bar of what’s possible for the entire creative team.
Team Kraken (all our projects have weird sea creature names - don’t ask why), launched Kingdoms of Heckfire a little over a year ago and since then have been dedicated to expanding both the game and the universe. We’ve launched huge new features, tried some crazy interesting things, and taken creative risks. Some worked, some were a great learning experience. As the creative lead, you will be part of this strategy and have the ability to see them through.
Things you will work on:
- You are responsible for the overall tone and visual style of the creative
- Manage team of in house artists and outsource contractors
- Lead and mentor a small art team - provide direction and feedback to a team of artists to help guide and grow their careers
- Hands-on with all aspects of the creative process
- Work with product and tech leads to coordinate the production of new features and live operation art needs
- Collaborate with marketing on various ad campaigns or promotional material
- Create benchmark concepts for variety of game assets including characters, backgrounds and various other game assets
Who you are:
- Experience creating artwork for games - bonus points if you have worked on a kingdom builder/SLG game
- Ability to lead, mentor and inspire a team of artists
- Knowledge of art pipelines for games
- Experience managing and mentoring artistsf
- Experience with developing and/or maintaining art style for a project
- Creativity and a good (possibly weird) sense of humour
- Understanding of 3D pipeline and/or experience with 3D asset creation
- Good communication and collaboration between disciplines and teams
Tell us if you:
- Have launched a mobile game in a senior role or above
- Have relevant experience in similar industries (console, TV or Film Animation, etc)
- Have any additional skills sets such as animation, motion graphics, illustration, 3D graphics, storyboarding, UI/UX design
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games developer with big ambitions. We are a team of 65 people + 5 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver 🏔️. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars 🌮 are our favourite, but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating something that becomes a part of their lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give you the freedom to do your best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape all-hands meetings, mid-quarter updates with our leadership team, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular 1:1s with your lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA Co-Founder and CEO, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!
Check out the game! 👇