This is a freelance role, with fairly consistent work available for the right candidate. Our team is looking for copywriting support on the events we run in our game, Kingdoms at War. There will be tight restrictions and direction provided for the required writing. The game is in the medieval/fantasy genre so we are looking for someone who is passionate and knowledgeable in this genre. Do you dream up names for swords in your spare time? Have you written any scripts or fan fiction in the medieval/fantasy genre? Tell us about it!
Things you will work on:
- Create interesting stories that match the existing writing style based on provided event narrative structure
- Generate character dialogue to move the event narrative along
- Incorporate new characters, items and equipment into the story which will become items in the game
- Collaborate with our in-house writer and artists
- Use the game theme to provide names and descriptions for various in game items
Who you are:
- You have great creative writing style and attention to detail
- You understand digital storytelling
- You are able to create stories, dialogue and names that fit a game’s tone and world
- You are passionate about the medieval/fantasy genre
- You are able to provide samples of work within this or similar genre
Tell us if you:
- Already play Kingdoms at War and know some of the lore
- Have experience writing for, or making games
- Have experience writing in the medieval fantasy genre (ex, books, short stories, tv/movies, comics, etc)
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games developer with big ambitions. We are a team of 65 people + 5 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver 🏔️. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars 🌮 are our favourite, but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating something that becomes a part of their lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give you the freedom to do your best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape all-hands meetings, mid-quarter updates with our leadership team, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular 1:1s with your lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA Co-Founder and CEO, talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!