Party in my Dorm is a highly popular free-to-play game in the middle of rapid growth, and we need your help. This is an opportunity to be a senior game designer on a growth product with a full team of developers, artists, and support from our user acquisition and data science team. Currently, the game has the population of a small city, with a player-driven trade economy, a passionate community and years of content. We are looking for someone who can drive the vision of this game to the next level, and grow our player base so it rivals the size of a small country. Be a part of our world-class live operations team as we scale this game into the top of the charts. You will also get a chance to work on our other live games.
You will be working on Team Leviathan which is home to our world-class live-ops team. The team leads the industry in supporting and growing games, some of which have occupied the Top Downloaded and Top Grossing charts historically. We design, build, release and improve on huge new features and we aren’t afraid to try new things, take risks, and learn. The team is metrics driven and entirely autonomous in its decision making.
Things you will work on:
- Optimizing features and content to increase retention and monetization
- Balancing virtual goods, in-game currencies and game assets
- Analyzing user data and feedback to pitch and develop new content and game mechanics
- Develop the features that you feel will help take PIMD to the next level
- Building relationships with development and creative teams to facilitate idea generation and feature implementation
- Develop flows and processes to improve our content generation pipelines
- Champion new features by finding the best ideas, getting support from the team, and executing on a launch strategy that includes iteration and improvements
Who you are:
Above all else, you are passionate about free-to-play games. You play them daily and have a strong desire to be involved in creating one yourself.
- You have experience working on a live free to play mobile game and have a strong understanding of free-to-play game mechanics and game content pipelines
- You have developed and launched new features evaluated their success and iterated in a live environment
- Maintaining and improving existing systems on a live mobile game
- Experience with live event creation and management
- Experience with data analysis, KPI impact analysis and metrics-based decision making
- Basic knowledge of SQL, database design, and structure
- Experience working with customer feedback and growing game communities
- Mobile UX design including creating wireframes and user flows
- Prioritization of features and content including risk assessment
- Experience managing a team
- Systems/game mechanics design, game balance, economy design/balance
- Monetization design, including variable rewards systems and probability
- Designing core loops and feedback loops
- You are a master at working with spreadsheets
Tell us if you have:
- Marketing/User Acquisition
- Community management
- Customer support
- Basic finance (P&L)
- Visual design/Art
- Narrative design
- Version control is a plus
While all our apes are different, to thrive here you should:
- Be self-motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
If you’re ready to make the next generation of top-grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!
A Thinking Ape is a growing independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. We are a team of 60 people (though sometimes we call ourselves apes 🦍) + 1-3 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day) and growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together, so far taco bars are our favourite 🌮.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: Both our staff and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating games that become a part of our player’s lives. However, building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported by an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations, and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, AMAs with our Directors and Founders and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story 📖 to find out how we got to where we are today and learn about our culture by following #thisisata. Listen to co-founder Kenshi Arasaki talk about what it’s like to work here.