Building on our founders’ Nobel-prize winning discoveries in RNA interference, Atalanta Therapeutics is developing novel branched siRNA therapeutics to treat severe neurological diseases at the root cause. With two active partnerships with large biopharmaceutical companies plus a robust and growing internal pipeline, Atalanta is poised to make a difference in patients’ lives. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district near South Station.
Atalanta Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated Senior Associate Scientist or Scientist I to join a dynamic team responsible for the design and synthesis of oligonucleotides for Atalanta’s drug discovery programs. Successful candidates will have experience with modern synthesis, purification and spectroscopic analysis of oligonucleotides, as well as demonstrated ability to work as part of an integrated team on multiple parallel projects. This individual will be responsible for the development of methods and processes for the synthesis, purification, and analysis of novel chemically modified oligonucleotides, as well as be a resource within the lab, to assist others in these activities. The ideal candidate is personable, organized, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. This role provides the right candidate with the opportunity to make a meaningful impact and take on increasing responsibility within Atalanta’s Chemistry function.
- Utilize specialized oligonucleotide synthesizers (e.g., Dr.Oligo, AKTA Oligopilot, Mermade) to produce high quality oligonucleotides
- Independently develop processes and methods for synthesis, deprotection and purification of novel chemically modified oligonucleotides
- Operate and maintain HPLC, and LC-MS for qualitative analysis and purification of synthetic oligonucleotides
- Critical analysis and evaluation of data to optimize synthesis yield, purity and formulation of modified oligonucleotides
- Quantitate compounds spectroscopically for in vitro and in vivo experiments
- Support management of providing oligonucleotides for research and drug development programs according to priorities and timelines
- Develop quality control mechanisms and monitoring systems to ensure consistent, reliable production of oligonucleotides
- Take a team leadership role in the maintenance and repair of essential pieces of equipment and systems to ensure reliable and consistent operation
- Stewardship and development of data reporting processes to maintain the inventory of synthesized oligonucleotides
- Supervise and/or mentor associates in a cross functional team environment
- PhD in Chemistry with a minimum of 0-2 years of related academic or professional work experience; A Master's degree in Chemistry with a minimum of 2-4 years of professional work experience -OR- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry with a minimum of 5-8 years of professional work experience. Position level commensurate with experience.
- Experience using oligonucleotide synthesis equipment (e.g., Dr.Oligo, AKTA Oligopilot, Mermade)
- Experience operating LC-MS and HPLC
- Previous experience in preparation of in vitro and in vivo dosing solutions is desirable
- Ability to independently interrogate scientific problems and rapidly develop creative solutions
- Automation experience to streamline repetitive tasks is preferred
- Conference presentations and publishing in peer reviewed journals is desirable
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills are essential
- A strong commitment to scientific integrity and laboratory excellence is required
- Demonstrated experience or ability to mentor or supervise scientific personnel is preferred
- Entrepreneurial approach and ability to work in a fast-paced, innovative, and high-growth company environment is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.