Who we are:
atai Life Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel treatments for mental health disorders so that everyone, everywhere can live a more fulfilled life. We are developing psychedelic and non-psychedelic compounds and cutting-edge digital therapeutic tools and are excited about anything that might mean a true leap forward for patients. We have offices in Berlin, London, New York, Boston, and San Diego. Check out our website here.
Working closely with our CEO and the atai Executive Leadership Team, you will be part of the Strategy & Commercial team. We play a key role in analyzing, designing, and executing our business & functional strategies with a special focus on bringing commercial & market knowledge and innovation into our decision making. Our business partners include the Executive Leadership Team and Supervisory Board as well as functional leaders across atai.
As Vice President Commercial Strategy you will be responsible for designing and executing the product strategy for all our assets in development as well as commercial evaluations of our Business Development opportunities. This role will require a strong understanding of US (primary focus) and EU (secondary focus) healthcare markets. You will work cross-functionally with our R&D (Research & Development), clinical, regulatory, IP (Intellectual Property) and other teams to optimize the commercial opportunity of our assets. You will also collaborate with the business development & licensing team, to provide a commercial view on asset evaluation and support asset acquisition strategies. atai is focused on innovating novel therapeutics, and is seeking a collaborative, entrepreneurial and strategic commercial specialist, preferably with previous experience launching drugs in CNS (Central Nervous System) indications, especially Psychiatry.
What you will be responsible for:
- Identify & lead all activities needed to ensure the commercial viability and success of atai’s development programs as and when appropriate, including competitive intelligence
- Evaluate and optimize the commercial potential of new investment opportunities from our acquisitions pipeline, including commercial forecasting and market access considerations
- Assess current commercial plans, identify gaps and plan and execute payer & prescriber studies, ad board and KOL (Key Opinion Leaders) engagement to inform product strategy
- Collaborate with the clinical team to develop and test target product profiles to enhance value proposition and competitive differentiation
- Influence clinical development programs to ensure trial design and endpoint selection will meet payer expectations and effectively demonstrate value to support optimal global price, access, and reimbursement
What you will achieve in your first 12 months:
- Improved and validated TPPs (Target Product Profile) and rNPV commercial assumptions for all clinical assets through payer and provider studies
- Established competitive differentiation strategies in atai’s key indications: depression, addiction and anxiety
- Created and executed a plan for engaging key commercial stakeholders by holding at least 1 ad board evaluating 3-5 key assets, representing atai at 1-2 commercial industry events and bringing in 3+ external advisors to address key questions in commercial strategy
- Lead one portfolio review prioritizing key assets and making portfolio optimization decisions, in collaboration with R&D, Operations and IVM team
Who will be successful in this role:
Those who succeed at atai will be strongly aligned with our values:
- Conscious Care: We take every action in service of our ultimate goal: to heal mental health disorders for all while caring for ourselves and our team.
- Bold Entrepreneurship: We are “loosely coupled but tightly aligned” as we strive for excellence over perfection, fast and focused to accelerate innovation for patients.
- Innovative Collaboration: individuals and teams work together with good humor and no drama, valuing different perspectives and diversity of thought, background, nationality, and style.
- Radical Responsibility: We take full responsibility for our circumstances. We grow and learn from failures
To succeed in this specific role, the following will be important:
- You have 10+ years of working experience in Commercial Strategy in Biopharma, with expertise in the go to market strategy, forecasting, launch planning and product strategy in CNS area, experience in Psychiatry is beneficial
- You have experience in US and EU reimbursement systems, pricing, evaluating drivers of market access success and support of due diligences
- You have a strong network of commercially relevant KOLs and organizations, which you have effectively used driving pharmaceutical products to market
- You have a strong track record in leading cross-functional teams in advancing projects
Additional qualifications that make you stand you:
- You were responsible for or significantly involved in a successful biopharma launch, ideally in the CNS area
- You have experience in Psychiatry and Mental health space commercial strategy, including reimbursement
- You have expertise in the EU5 and other non-US reimbursement systems
- You have experience in developing and managing market access strategies, value dossiers, traditional/innovative payment models and health economic modeling
- You have an advanced degree (Ph.D., MD, MBA, or Pharm D)
You will need to be based in one of our 5 hub locations (Berlin, London, New York, Boston or San Diego) and be willing to come to the office 2 – 3 days a week. You will need to be willing & available to travel across the US and occasionally ex-US for up to 25% of your time.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At atai, we are committed to providing an environment of diversity, inclusion and mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.