Who we are:
atai Life Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel treatments for mental health disorders so that everyone, everywhere can live a more fulfilled life. We are developing psychedelic and non-psychedelic compounds and cutting-edge digital therapeutic tools, and are excited about anything that might mean a true leap forward for patients. We have offices in Berlin, London, New York, Boston and San Diego (and our office culture is important to us). Check out our website here.
What is the role:
- The Clinical Treatment Design Manager is a core member of atai’s R&D team for Psychotherapeutic Development. This role requires an expert in mindfulness and behaviorally oriented treatments. In this role, you will be an active participant in the development of a new protocols adhering to the behavioral psychedelics model with the purpose of enhancing and sustaining the effects of psychedelic compounds in the medical/ clinical treatment of severe mental health conditions. You will report to the Director of Clinical Treatment Design and work with a small, agile team of clinical psychologists and digital product developers.
- In this role, you will be asked to contribute your clinical expertise, your ideas and creativity, and not be afraid to fail. We expect you to work together with us in trusting, respectful, and irreverent ways to get to the best truth we can achieve, all the while challenging ourselves from listening to our own echo chamber.
- Note, we use the acronym DTx-PTx to represent the convergence of psychotherapeutic approaches with digital app technology. Specifically, DTx-PTx is the intersection of clinical content with software features to deliver psychotherapy in innovative ways that are differentiated from conventional in-person (or telehealth) methods.
What you will achieve:
- You will directly contribute to the success of Phase 2 and 3 clinical trials using digital app technology to deliver psychotherapeutic content in combination with psychedelic compounds.
- In the first six months, you will be the main driver to design and develop DTx-PTx protocols with a Mindfulness focus that will be used in combination with psychedelic compounds for Treatment Resistant Depression.
- You will design protocols derived from evidence-based practices in mindfulness and behavioral therapies, including ACT, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, and CBT.
- You will show strong writing skills to document the PTx-DTx protocols in standardized formats that are used for clinical trials and to communicate to the larger R&D team at atai.
- Within three months of hire, you will demonstrate a strong knowledge base of psychedelics research with critical analyses of major findings.
- You will learn about the digital app software features and how to converge clinical content into a digital product.
- You will acquire skills for converting treatment protocol sessions into scripts for videos on the app.
Who will be successful in this role:
Those who succeed at atai will be strongly aligned with our values:
- Conscious Care: We take every action in service of our ultimate goal: to heal mental health disorders for all while caring for ourselves and our team.
- Bold Entrepreneurship: We are “loosely coupled but tightly aligned” as we strive for excellence over perfection, fast and focused to accelerate innovation for patients.
- Innovative Collaboration: individuals and teams work together with good humor and no drama, valuing different perspectives and diversity of thought, background, nationality, and style.
- Radical Responsibility: We take full responsibility for our circumstances. We grow and learn from failures
To succeed in this specific role, the following will also be important:
- PhD or PsyD in clinical psychology with clinical and research experience (or comparable training and experience in a related discipline)
- Clinical experience treating patients suffering from severe depression, mood and anxiety disorders in general, with deep understanding of the theoretical principles of mindfulness, behavioral and cognitive therapies, and ACT.
- Collaborative and a team player who takes responsibility for meeting the expectations of their role.
- Expert clinical knowledge and skills with evidence-based practice with flexible thinking and a practical mindset for adapting treatment transdiagnostically.
- Excellent writing skills and understanding the iterative process of editing and refining, and translating complex principles and techniques into clear, plain language
- Flexible attitude to engage in a creative process with many twists and turns with an eye on achieving a gold standard of care without being overly perfectionistic
- Preferred although not required to have experience working with a digital product and technology team with the aim of delivering cutting-edge healthcare technology products
- Flexible and willing to work in a fast-paced environment with company ethics combining innovation, radical responsibility, mutual respect, and kindness.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At atai, we are committed to providing an environment of diversity, inclusion and mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.