atai Life Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing innovative treatments and processes to treat mental health disorders for everyone, everywhere. We operate a decentralized model whereby atai incubates, acquires, and supports individual platform companies by providing them strategic and operational functions centrally, allowing our platform companies to stay lean and agile in their clinical pursuits, whilst also being able to leverage the expertise of a highly-valued global biotechnology company. atai is pursuing a world-first strategy to deploy our clinical compounds alongside a clinically validated digital ecosystem which aims utilizes cutting edge technology, clinical protocol, human-interaction psychology, and data science to enhance the clinical efficacy and engagement of our compounds.
We are seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial Company Lead to manage day-to-day operations at one of atai Life Science’s drug discovery portfolio companies. As an atai subsidiary Company Lead, we need you to be able to drive results and manage key stakeholders, while being on top of the technical aspects of drug discovery and development. The right candidate must model a great company culture, provide inspiring leadership, and establish and foster a great working relationship with the teams at the portfolio company and atai, the Board, the leadership team, and external collaborators.
TryptageniX is focused on the discovery of new chemical entities with potential applications in mental health utilizing a bioprospecting approach, i.e., the search for natural products from which medicines can be developed. In addition, TryptageniX will also develop scalable and environmentally friendly biosynthetic manufacturing methods for atai's naturally derived compounds. The company has the objective to generate intellectual property and further strengthen atai’s drug development pipeline of psychedelic and non-psychedelic compounds. TryptageniX is a majority-owned joint venture with CB Therapeutics, a San Diego-based contract development & manufacturing organization, who have a strong expertise in synthetic genomics and bio-engineering and have developed a proprietary yeast-based fermentation platform.
Who you are:
- You have demonstrated the ability to help drive projects through critical value inflection points in drug discovery, development or manufacturing
- You are able to attend to multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment without losing focus of the larger goal
- You strive to be a thought-leader in your area of expertise. You are always learning and are always well informed on the state-of-the-art in your discipline
- You thrive in a global, dynamic, highly complex environment. You are comfortable working with a global team across time zones, different cultures, and various local rules and regulations
- You overcome obstacles collaboratively while respecting others’ points of view, and you empower your team to be creative and resourceful
- You can inspire, coach and lead project teams to meet project deadlines
- Champion of TryptageniX and responsible for driving the development of and delivering on program vision, strategy and tactical development execution of the company’s development programs
- Driving discovery and development workstream execution in accordance with the board of directors and company strategy
- Coordinating strategy for building an IP portfolio
- Accountable for the company’s budget and advocate for resourcing and program prioritization as needed, either with chapter leaders or escalating if needed
- Keeping a clear understanding of CNS innovations and the competitive landscape and how to differentiate
- Fostering and helping retain product development critical talent and nourish a positive and productive culture in the workplace by listening to team members’ opinions, supporting their development, and recognizing the team's accomplishments
- Building trusting relations and steering communication with key partners and stakeholders, and act as their main point of contact
- 7+ years industry experience in the pharma/biotech/CDMO industry (e.g., discovery, CMC, biofermentation, toxicology, pharmacology, regulatory, early clinical development) or top-tier strategy consulting with biotech/pharma focus
- Experience as a leader or co-leader (CMC Project Lead, Product Team Lead, Project Manager) contributing to a significant milestone (e.g., IND approval)
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree (Ph.D., MBA, MD, PharmD) preferred
- Experience in CNS drug discovery or early development is a plus
- Experience in CMC and working in a GMP environment is a plus