Astranis is connecting the four billion people in the world who do not currently have access to the internet. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost spacecraft to bring the world online.
We are well-funded by some of the best investors in the business and have raised over $400 million to date. We have a world-class team that is passionate about building amazing technology. And we have a fun and collaborative work environment where you will learn a lot and make a huge impact no matter where you are in your career. Just check out our Glassdoor reviews to see what our team has to say about working at Astranis.
Our team is growing fast. Apply now!
This role will contribute to both commercial and our US government programs.
Communication Systems Engineer
As a Communication Systems Engineer at Astranis you will be responsible for leading the architecture, design, and modeling of our satellites communication payloads. You will work closely with many other teams including but not limited to the antenna, SDR, RF, DSP, and mechanical teams in order to design the best possible radio systems. As a senior engineer, you will also be expected to act as a technical and career mentor to the junior engineers on the team.
- Own architectural trade studies, and establish system and unit level requirements analytically or via simulation
- Lead R&D efforts for new radio features / technologies / custom components
- Work closely with many design teams, including RF, Antenna, digital hardware, FPGA, mechanical, thermal
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering or equivalent
- 4+ years of experience
- Strong technical communication skills (oral and written)
- Experience leading a technical project / program
- Strong fundamentals in "signals and systems" and digital communications
- Familiar with hardware components and their associated impairments / limitations
- Comfortable working in the lab, testing radio hardware, using signal generator, signal analyzer, network analyzer, oscilloscope, etc
- Proven ability to triage and debug issues discovered in testing
- Comfortable developing software
- Fast to learn new tools and workflows
- A passion for working in a fast-paced environment and constantly learning
- Familiarity with satellite radio systems (ground segment and/or space segment)
- RF system design and budgeting
- Comfortable with software, especially Python, git, GNU Radio
- Multi-antenna systems
- Familiarity with satellite waveforms and modems (DVB-S2/x, DVB-RCS2, PTW)
- Radio characterization test planning, automation and execution
- Comfortable with link layer design, implementation, test in wireless networks
- Familiarity with multi-rate signal processing techniques (polyphase filters, resamplers, etc)
- Experience working Military Satcom systems
All our positions offer a compensation package that includes equity, robust benefits, and bonuses.
What we offer:
What we offer:
Base pay is a single component of Astranis' total rewards package, which may also include equity in the form of incentive stock options, performance bonuses, high quality company-subsidized healthcare, disability and life insurance benefits, flexible PTO, 401(K) retirement, and free on-site catered meals.
Astranis pay ranges are infomed and defined through professional-grade salary surveys and compensation data sources. The actual base salary offered to a successful candidate will additionally be influenced by a variety of factors including experience, credentials & certifications, educational attainment, skill level requirements, and the level and scope of the position.
U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or Refugee/Asylee Status Required
(To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States, or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3))
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
All employees of Astranis are required to be vaccinated by the start of their employment. Mandatory vaccinations support our commitment to making our workplace and public facilities as safe and welcoming as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals who are not able to get the vaccine due to qualifying medical or religious reasons.