About Assembly OSM
Assembly OSM is a fast-growing, Fifth Wall-backed company on a mission to make urban development more scalable and sustainable. We are a NYC-based modular design builder with decades of experience in real estate development, public-private partnerships, offsite construction, and manufacturing. We are hard at work developing our first two buildings in New York City, and growing the team to allow us to really take Assembly to scale.
Our team has developed billions of dollars of urban real estate including the tallest high-rise modular tower in North America (461 Dean Street), and has led major manufacturing operations at companies like Tesla and General Motors.
The Assembly approach is quite different than the modular solutions that have been deployed in the past. The process is more similar to aerospace manufacturing than construction -- leveraging high fidelity digital twin models and distributed manufacturing to make our business more scalable and resilient.
If our mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
As a creative, tech-savvy Senior Mechanical Engineer with experience from the aerospace, automotive, defense, or heavy manufacturing industries, you will collaborate with a cross-functional team to design, engineer, test and validate structural products and systems. This work will include interacting with architects, product designers, global supply chain, digital delivery, quality, manufacturing and construction, in designing the structural systems, including components and hardware, and digital models that facilitate the efficient prefabricated assembly of mid to high rise residential buildings. Successful candidates will demonstrate high levels of curiosity and eagerness to explore creative solutions to technical problems.
- Lead advanced product design and engineering of structural systems including components and hardware
- Apply industry accepted methods to analyze materials, components and structures using CAE and FEA analysis
- Collaborate with Assembly’s cross-functional teams and suppliers to efficiently convert structural designs into manufacturable and scalable products
- Perform detailed design of various components, hardware, structures, and building modules
- Review and research applicable codes and standards and ensure compliance
- Perform detailed engineering analysis including, tolerance and statistical analysis, significant/critical characteristics, establishing key product Interfaces and characteristics aiming for quality, manufacturability, scalability and reliability
- Prepare material and product specifications, qualification test plans and reports
- Document and convey structural design analysis, such as load and force calculations
- Collaborate with manufacturing and suppliers on DFM/A, DFMEA & PFMEA
- Participate in R&D and prototyping activities to develop new structural technologies
- Provide technical input for project budgets and supplier bids/proposals
- Support supplier selection, development and quality assurance activities
- Participate in coordination and production of BIM (Building Information) models to document structural designs in collaboration with design consultants and internal teams
- An experienced Sr Mechanical/ Structural Engineer. You have been a part of product design and engineering of complex structural products, large, small, or both. Assembly OSM may be out of your comfort zone, but you are up for the challenge.
- A problem solver. You recognize the issue, and are able to synthesize data from various sources. You can quickly develop and propose solutions but are also able to take critical feedback. You seek the best solution for the customer and business.
- Excited to work in a dynamic environment. You’re ready for the challenge of navigating change as we embark on advancing the construction industry, accommodating many different business needs and objectives. You like to wear many hats and don’t mind getting your hands dirty sometimes.
- Extremely detail-oriented. Keen attention to detail. You take pride in doing excellent design and engineering work but understand and are willing to take appropriate trade offs.
- Proactive: You have experience managing complex schedules and competing priorities that require thinking ahead and anticipating conflicts.
- An excellent communicator. You tend toward overcommunication in situations that lack clarity, and try to keep all relevant parties in the loop. You can build and maintain successful, trusting work relationships.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Structural Engineering
- Master’s degree and/or Professional Engineer (P.E.) a plus
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in design and engineering of structural products
- Expert level 2D/3D modeling capabilities (eg. Solidworks, Revit, Catia)
- Expert level proficiency with FEA software (eg. FEMAP, ABAQUS, Strand7, Bentley)
- Expert level proficiency with CAE software (e.g ETABS, STAAD, ANSYS, MatLab, Fusion)
- Experience and demonstrated capability applying GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Extensive experience in leading DFM/A, supplier development, and product validation
- Experienced in the design and analysis of welded, bolted and joined connections
- Experience in transitioning structural products from engineering to manufacturing
- Solid understanding of testing, quality controls processes, fixturing and gages
- Knowledge and application of general industry standards: Building Codes, ASTM, ANSI, ISO, ASME, NFPA, AISC, AWS, UL, DIN, JIS, etc.
- Knowledge of core manufacturing methods (Assembly, CNC Machining, Welding, Casting, etc.)
- Experience in sustainable building design and coordination a plus
- Familiarity with PLM (e.g. ENOVIA, Arena) and change control processes
- This role will require domestic and international travel (~30%)
- Examples of previous experience strongly encouraged
Compensation Range: $150k - $180k per year
At Assembly, we aim for genuine inclusion and belonging. We are proud to be a minority-led firm, equal-opportunity employer, and have zero tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We seek out employees of all races, colors, religions, ages, gender identities and presentations, LGBTQ+ identities and orientations, family and parental statuses, veteran and disability statuses, and ancestries and national origins.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- 20 PTO days per year, plus holidays
- Free One Medical and virtual healthcare services, including Health Advocate and Teladoc
- Commuter Benefits
- FSA and HSA
* Please note that being authorized to work in the United States is a precondition of employment for this role. We are not sponsoring work visas, such as H-1B visas, at this point in time.*