Location: New York City or Los Angeles
Reports to: Managing Director
Assembled Brands is seeking a VP/Director of Origination to join our team. The Originator will have and develop a network of relationships and channels through which to source opportunities and close investments in emerging branded consumer products companies. The Originator will also help lead in the marketing efforts of the firm across content, events, brand building and networking.
About the Company
Assembled Brands provides working capital to emerging consumer brands that are demonstrating traction in the marketplace.
As founders, we know the passion, creativity, and commitment it takes to give life to a brand. As operators, we know the key metrics that drive business success. As investors, we combine credit and equity across all stages of growth with flexible terms and capital from our own balance sheet.
Role and Responsibilities
- Source, develop and close credit investments in emerging branded consumer goods companies with the team’s and credit committee approval. You will be expected to build and manage your own prioritized pipeline that will enable you to meet or exceed the company’s goals. In 2019, you will deploy at least $20m in new loans while developing a robust pipeline that can more than double your origination in the following year.
- Shepherd deals through initial identification, preliminary analysis, investment committee preliminary approval, term sheet negotiation, due diligence, legal documentation, deal management and portfolio monitoring. Assist others in shepherding others deals through the process as well.
- Participate on the investment/credit committee for preliminary and final investment approval.
- Collaborate in team discussions about deals in the pipeline, being ready to assist team members in “whatever it takes” to make AB successful.
- Ensure the smooth transition of newly originated deals to loan servicing & the rest of the team. Maintain ongoing check-ins as the lead on the deal. When needed, confer with the team and bring in Head of Credit.
- Create and develop relationships with market intermediaries and participants, including executive coaching firms, industry associations, law firms, audit firms, business brokers, investment bankers, deal platforms, commercial banks, family offices, founders, boards and executive teams.
- Build brand ambassadorship and thought leadership among consumer branded companies and affiliated entities through participation in panels, industry events, Assembled Brands hosted events (including offsites, topic-specific events, portfolio company gatherings and dinners), white papers, thought pieces and influencer relationships.
- Assist in or lead the develop marketing materials, including short-form and long-form borrower-centric content; develop content marketing for publication on social media and/or other investor, intermediary and borrower-facing information portals.
ADMINISTRATION AND FIRM DEVELOPMENT
- Use and improve existing internal communication and collaboration tools.
- Use and improve our CRM (HubSpot) automating the lead filtering as much as possible while developing new relationships across the industry.
- Audit, test, iterate and refine existing investment processes, systems and technology, including data sources, origination management, internal and external communications, deal process management, investment committee (and attendant documentation), portfolio monitoring and management.
- Develop a library of best practices, processes and tools based on our collective experience developing and working with brands at all stages of growth.
- Train clients and internal resources on our processes and tools.
- Maintain relationships across the industry as we become the preferred source of capital for the most promising emerging brands.
CREDIT PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Assist in Credit Product Development.
- 1+ years of origination experience
- Successfully presented deals to an investment and/or credit committee
- Experience with financial statement analysis, cash flow analysis and financial ratios; able to review and understand complex financial documents