We’re looking for detail-oriented, creative, and deadline-driven editors with discernible editorial judgment and experience to manage the publication of fascinating content for our diverse library of publications.
**Please include a cover letter explaining what led you to become an editor, what interests you about this specific position, and a professionally published writing sample or portfolio link along with your resume.
Home to the iconic Ask.com website and headquartered in Oakland’s thriving downtown, Ask Media Group is a collection of websites that help curious people find the information they need. Our growing portfolio of websites helps our users discover everything from the latest on the COVID-19 vaccine rollout to the bizarre history behind the Heaven’s Gate cult of the 1990s, and we thrive on the challenge of developing a wide variety of sites that address everyday questions, no matter how big or small.
Our team knows how to not only create but profitably grow digital properties to a meaningful scale, touching the lives of millions of people each day. Ask Media Group is owned and operated by IAC (NASDAQ: IAC) and is a part of IAC Publishing, IAC’s collection of premium content brands.
What You Get to Do
Working alongside a team of writers and fellow editors and reporting to Ask Media Group’s Senior Managing Editor, you will be responsible for pitching, editing and publishing content across AMG’s portfolio of sites. You’ll have the opportunity to write in a variety of formats, including editorial narratives, shopping listicles and trivia quizzes, but you’ll primarily help us produce content created specifically to achieve SEO success.
Your writing and copy-editing skills will ensure the quality of existing and newly published SEO content on our portfolio of sites, including Ask.com, Reference.com, SymptomFind.net and Ask money. Our 100M+ monthly users come to us for a variety of topics, allowing you the freedom to research and write on a variety of topics spanning health, history, and science to current events, entertainment, and more.
- Manage the complete workflow and organization of newly-created SEO content
- Collaborate with freelance and in-house writers to ensure content meets editorial standards for success
- Monitor your own workflow using our in-house database to assist in time management
- Collaborate with your fellow editors to schedule the publication of your pieces
- Source and select high-quality and attention-grabbing images to accompany content
- Pitch writing assignments based on trending topics/keyword research and assist in other team pitches
- Occasionally write your own feature articles to push the envelope of our ever-evolving publications
- Play an integral role in content initiatives on new and existing domains
What You Bring to Us
You are passionate about digital storytelling and understand how to edit for voice & tone and brand specifications to create an engaging user experience. You’re a meticulous editor who can also see the bigger picture of strategic business goals. You’re comfortable working in a fast-moving group where priorities are always shifting. You keep your cool and produce high-quality work under tight deadlines. You bring a critical eye to reading and revising, and can apply AMG’s editorial guidelines to the review of highly-trafficked content.
- 4-5 years of editorial/digital publishing experience as an editor
- Experience editing for SEO and familiarity with basic SEO best practices
- Excellent editorial judgement and a thorough grasp of how to edit for a variety of voice & tone guidelines, brand guidelines, angles, audiences and demographics
- Experience editing a range of content types and formats, including editorial features, quizzes, and listicles
- Experience editing e-commerce and sponsored content
- Experience selecting and editing images for editorial
- Familiarity with AP style
- Interest in news, history, education and pop culture. You’re active on social media and always know what’s trending before your friends. It’s ok to be that know-it-all-friend!
- Extremely detail-oriented and meticulous
- Ability to work against tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- Great communication skills and ability to articulate concepts
A company’s culture is always a work-in-progress. Ours is founded upon a professional atmosphere where people are passionate about learning and doing our best. Sometimes we fail, but we learn from these failures. All the while, we believe that maintaining work-life balance and having fun is the key to our success.
This role accepts applications for work in all U.S. states.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.