ASG is an unconventional group of market-leading SaaS software companies, serving industries ranging from behavioral health to transportation to childcare. The company has acquired 19 businesses since its inception in August of 2016, with 175+% growth from 2017 to 2018. We are backed by Alpine Investors and operated by world-class PeopleFirst™ leaders. ASG believes deeply in the power of people and data to grow great organizations, and that sharing knowledge, expertise, and resources across its community of businesses drives exponential growth. Founders of leading SaaS companies continue to trust ASG to grow their businesses and build even stronger legacies for the future. To learn more, visit www.alpinesg.com.
About Alpine Investors
Alpine is a values-driven private equity firm with a mission to build enduring companies by working with, learning from and developing exceptional people. Alpine specializes in lower middle-market companies in the software, online and business services industries. For more information, visit https://www.alpineinvestors.com/about/
The Mission of the Role
Create a best-in-class financial reporting environment at one or more of our operating companies. Serve as a trusted financial and operational advisor to the Finance Lead and the CEO you support. Act as a liaison between the operating companies and ASG.
The Senior Accountant will perform substantial original work, but from the outset will have support and work very closely with the Finance Lead. This position will scale with the Company and eventually this role will build and lead a dedicated accounting & finance team as the Company’s requirements and resources grow.
We are seeking a motivated, growth-oriented analyst to build and lead our accounting operations. The Senior Accountant is responsible for all areas related to financial reporting and close. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, procedures, and controls to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. Your challenge is to drive efficiencies in financial reporting and business intelligence as we scale by leveraging technology, a dedicated offshore accounting team, and a relentless focus on process improvement and challenging the status quo.
In addition to traditional accounting responsibilities and deliverables, this position will have exposure to FP&A: management and KPI reporting, budgeting and operational planning, forecasting and modeling, financial analysis and decision support.
This position is based in Walnut Creek, California. You will report directly to the Finance Lead.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of accounting and financial operations with a focus on continuous improvement; Including: A/P, payroll, A/R, tax/compliance, cash management, and the monthly GL close and reporting cycle
- Lead and manage our offshore accounting resource service providers to power outsourceable tasks, responsibilities, and analyses
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure while ensuring an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close
- Prepare financials in accordance with U.S. GAAP; act as primary liaison between finance team and our external auditors
- Support budget and forecasting activities; become the owner of master financial model for your operating companies
- Develop and document internal controls, policies, and procedures; ensure proper documentation and record-keeping compliance
- Respond to inquiries and ad-hoc analysis requests from the Finance Lead and other executives
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance
- 2-3 years of relevant GL experience with increasing responsibility, preferably at a rapidly growing tech company
- Public accounting or audit experience preferred but not required
- Strong familiarity with accounting principles, financial statements, and basic valuation techniques
- CPA a plus but not required
- Experience in taking the initiative to identify the need for and then improving processes
- Must have strong Excel skills, including report creation, report formatting, charting, and use of common financial functions (index/match, vlookups, sumifs, pivot tables)
- Experience managing staff or offshore resources as supervisor or project manager preferred
- Experience with Intacct, Expensify, Bill.com, and FloQast is a plus
- Excellent communicator – written and oral
- Analytical – can find meaning in numbers, and be a data-driven decision-maker
- Possesses high sense of urgency; excellent time management and organizational skills
- Resourceful – figures out how to achieve results creatively with finite resources
- Self-starter who regularly takes initiative and can juggle multiple projects while simultaneously demonstrating creativity and judgment
- Enthusiasm to apply technology to business processes
- Thrives in a nimble, lean, unstructured, and fast-paced environment
- Ability to create, optimize, and execute processes for a growing SaaS startup using best practices
- Strong documentation abilities. Understands and has lived by the 'reperformance' standard
- Takes pride in meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations on quality of output
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards. Self-aware, accepting, honest, open, polite and respectful of others
- An undying commitment to personal growth, learning, and development