Our legal team works cross-functionally to help achieve Asana’s ambitious mission of enabling the world’s teams to work together effortlessly. We’re a collaborative group responsible for supporting all teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while likewise supporting Asana’s core values and interests. We run ideas past each other, we problem-solve together, we partner with other groups to navigate them through challenging issues, and we’re growing.
Specifically, we’re looking for an experienced privacy counsel to join our legal team. This role requires someone with expertise and experience with global privacy laws. This is a great opportunity to work closely with other business and technical stakeholders to further build out Asana’s Privacy Team and help scale a global privacy program in a mission-driven company. We are looking for a team player who brings a thoughtful, pragmatic mindset to solving problems. This role reports to Asana’s Privacy Lead, who also serves as our Data Protection Officer.
What you’ll achieve
- Providing clear and practical advice to the various teams throughout product and engineering on the implication of privacy laws, and how to effectively comply with them by taking on a privacy-by-design mindset
- Keep up to date with new privacy regulations and regimes, including but not limited to GDPR, LGPD, HIPAA, and CCPA
- Conduct DPIAs and privacy assessments on product features and internal data processing activities and partner closely with our product team to review new product features
- Be the lead point of contact for Asana’s security team on compliance initiatives and audits
- Be an ambassador and evangelist for privacy at Asana by delivering training, and building out documentation and other programming
- Help Asana grow globally by supporting global privacy initiatives
- JD from an accredited law school and U.S-qualified (California bar membership or California registered in-house counsel preferred)
- 7+ years experience working in-house at a technology company as privacy counsel and/or at a law firm counseling high-growth technology companies on privacy (in-house experience strongly preferred)
- You love privacy-related work and view protecting privacy rights not as a compliance obligation, but as the right thing to do
- Strong knowledge of GDPR, CCPA, and familiarity with other global privacy laws.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to work cross-functionally and globally with non-lawyers across the company to build out and managing frameworks and processes
- Comfortable with technology and relevant technology terminology
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess and communicate risks to business partners in clear, actionable fashion to facilitate compliance programs that grow with the business
- CIPP preferred, but not required
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world, from small businesses to large enterprises, rely on Asana to manage everything from company objectives to digital transformation to product launches and marketing campaigns. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. After spending more than a year physically distanced, we are safely and mindfully returning our global teams to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.