We are looking for someone who is passionate about helping others contribute more and grow not just as engineers, but also as human beings. As an engineering manager, you will focus on developing the engineers on the Design System team. You are as enthusiastic about recruiting and building a team as you are about challenging technical problems that your team will solve.
Design System focuses on leveraged, foundational product development and frameworks. At its core, the team builds and maintains core UI components and patterns that help all of our designers & engineers quickly ship features that are beautiful and consistent. From this leveraged place, the team is also working to improve navigation throughout the app, and to ship features implemented at a framework level, like dark mode and accessibility.
You'll partner closely with product designers to build the foundation of our product's UI, and you'll think about how core UI components and patterns will work across our entire product. This means building with a high level of visual polish, but also thinking about how engineers and designers will use what we're building, and coming up with thoughtful APIs.
There's also an opportunity to teach designers about engineering concepts, and to learn more about product design.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage a team of 6 engineers that build the foundational layer of product design at Asana.
- Ensure the team has high trust and high bandwidth communication with a wide array of other internal engineering and product teams.
- Make sure we are establishing maintainable patterns for feature development.
- Help the team balance between long term transformational investments and addressing acute pains.
- Recruit for and grow the Design System team and wider Infrastructure group.
- Define how the team evolves and interacts with the rest of Asana.
- Guide the articulation and execution of the roadmap of Asana’s infrastructure to support web and mobile clients.
- 2+ years of engineering management experience, ideally with experience working on the frontend.
- The rare mix of intelligence, charisma, integrity and technical skills that allow you to rapidly earn the trust of a technically astute team.
- Enthusiasm partnering with stakeholders across the engineering organization to drive solutions.
- Focus on maximizing impact, for yourself and your team.
- Ability to help evaluate and frame complex technical decisions.
- Oriented around the multi-year consequences of your decisions.
- Kind and intellectually mature.
At Asana, we're building a better way to work, fueled by transparency, inclusion, and technology that is a force for positive change. Asana is a work management platform that helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives, so they can move faster and accomplish more with less. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, #15 Fast Company World’s Most Innovative Companies, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.