We’re looking for an Infrastructure Software Engineer with experience in storage/online data systems and a strong passion for Reliability/Operability. You will work with a world-class team of engineers on building software systems to manage Asana’s online storage infrastructure, deploying and operating our storage technologies, and solving challenges unique to our problem space. We are looking for big thinkers and innovators to take on the problem space and deliver elegant solutions.
The Core Storage Infrastructure team builds the foundational cloud storage layer for Asana that includes sharded relational storage (MySQL) and search infrastructure (Elastic Search). We build and operate the software for storage reliability that enables Asana’s scalability, performance, and robustness. We also own and facilitate infrastructure around data lifecycle management, database sharding, and data model flexibility. Each day, we combine industry best-practices and innovation to support Asana. There are plenty of unsolved and unique problems to work on in the team.
What you’ll achieve
You will have a unique opportunity to design, develop, and operate the core storage layer that powers Asana’s fast-growing user data and evolving feature set. You will be a key contributor to the future of storage Infrastructure at Asana and collaborate to influence projects within other engineering teams. You will enable engineers to roll-out new features and services safely - through tooling, best practices, and production readiness reviews. You will experience the internals and best practices of running applications in the cloud (AWS) and relevant state-of-the-art infrastructure tooling.
Day to day you will:
- Produce high-quality design and code to build frameworks, services, and the necessary tooling to build and scale Asana’s core storage infrastructure
- Analyze problems, consider alternative solutions/trade-offs, and make key technical implementation decisions related to our storage systems
- Keep our services up and running by being part of our on-call rotation; investigate and resolve production issues
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to define service oriented architecture, enable application features, and help guide engineering vision at Asana
- Evangelize good code and solid engineering and operability practices
- Support design reviews, communicate constraints, and help engineers make the right trade-offs
- Have expertise in programming and computer science, and strong interest in distributed systems
- 5+ years writing and shipping production code
- 2+ years of experience building and scaling high-volume storage/online data systems (e.g. databases, search infrastructure)
- 2+ years experience in operating highly available, user-facing production services
- Are looking for a blameless and open environment where you and your teammates empower one another moving towards a shared goal
- Are willing and able to collaborate with different roles and functions across Asana with a keen sense of empathy
- You’re a fast learner and can contribute from day one
Nice to have
- Experience with MySQL on AWS (RDS)
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Good understanding of data stores (SQL, NoSQL, Search) and internals
- Familiarity with AWS Services (IAM, DynamoDB, RDS, EKS, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and experience of SRE principles (and have opinions about)
- Experience building scalable, highly-available service oriented architectures
At Asana, we're building a better way to work, fueled by transparency, inclusion, and technology that is a force for positive change. Asana is a work management platform that helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives, so they can move faster and accomplish more with less. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. After spending more than a year physically distanced, we are safely and mindfully returning our global teams to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.