At Asana, program leads (PLs) are responsible for the delivery and technical quality of our programs. They take on complex projects, lead the work of several ICs, partner with cross-functional and cross-organizational stakeholders, and mentor team members in technical design and project leadership.
We're looking for an experienced technical leader to join as a program lead on the API team, a team focused on enabling our external ecosystem of developers to expand the power of Asana. At Asana, we know that our customers all have their own unique workflows spanning across many different tools. With our public-facing API, we give third-party developers the flexibility to extend and integrate Asana into their workflows in the exact ways they need, simplifying and consolidating their work. With our developer console, we give developers a streamlined process for them to manage, register, and launch their apps with Asana.
This is a brand new team with a full and exciting roadmap lined up ahead. On this team, you can expect to ship brand new extensions of the Asana API, enabling rich in-product app experiences that make Asana a central hub for tracking work across a suite of tools. You’ll build new tooling for developers to make building and debugging apps effortless. Along the way, you’ll collaborate closely with other product and engineering teams to build out special UI-centric API features, and with our Security team to help make third-party apps secure by default. To build these experiences, you’ll work across the stack, touching a variety of systems ranging from infrastructure to data models, API interfaces, and UIs.
As a program lead, you’ll have an impactful opportunity to craft a vision and direction for the team with Product and Design leads. If you care deeply about building effective interfaces for other engineers and about crafting this vision with us, then we’d love to hear from you!
What you’ll achieve
- Own technical design and project execution for the team, delegating this work to other engineers on the team when appropriate
- Mentor engineers on the team through activities like pairing and code reviews to promote a culture of technical excellence
- Make hands-on engineering contributions to Asana’s core product with a focus on overcoming tricky technical challenges and modeling practices that improve quality and velocity at scale
- Partner with Product Management, Design, and Engineering Management to define the team’s roadmap and long-term strategy
- Collaborate with many other teams across Asana with an opportunity to work across the full stack to build new high impact features
- 5+ years of experience working in large codebases
- 1+ years of experience leading a complex project end-to-end, or in a tech lead or team lead role
- Experience planning projects and managing team-wide efforts to completion
- Practiced at owning and delegating technical design decisions
- Experience working cross-functionally with stakeholders and PM/Design/Data Science partners to define requirements, make tradeoffs, and align on long-term plans
- Excited to work in a unique problem space that involves building user facing features but in a framework that will scale across many use cases. Previous experience working on a platform related team is a plus.
- Deep care for fostering collaboration and psychological safety among team members
- Passionate about coaching and mentoring engineers of all experience levels
- Appreciate productivity and care deeply about helping teams collaborate more effectively and efficiently, including your own
- Excited to be a part of an inclusive culture where everyone brings their whole selves to work
At Asana, we're building a better way to work, fueled by transparency, inclusion, and technology that is a force for positive change. Asana is a work management platform that helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives, so they can move faster and accomplish more with less. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. After spending more than a year physically distanced, we are safely and mindfully returning our global teams to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.