Technical Program Manager, Engineering Operations
Asana is on a mission to help humanity thrive by enabling all teams to work together effortlessly. To do this, we’re building an easy to use and powerful work management application to help organizations achieve clarity and individuals maintain focus and engagement.
Core to developing a successful product is operating a highly effective, efficient, and thriving organization of R&D teams. Engineering Operations manages critical business systems and drives strategic initiatives at three different altitudes: the org layer, as an interface to the rest of the business, the team and pillar level, as we build and scale a complex product, and at the individual level: helping every engineer thrive. As a Technical Program Manager on Engineering Operations, you’ll play a critical role across the layers, helping our pillars, teams, and individuals scale their productivity by developing and managing programs. These programs will span across all our product and infrastructure teams to drive alignment, maintain our focus on our customers, and continue to deliver a high quality product efficiently.
In this role, you will specifically help establish programs related to an engineer’s lifecycle: how they onboard to Asana, how they navigate the organization, how they grow and learn, how they understand their role and responsibilities, and how they engage and communicate with the organization as a whole. As a part of the Engineering Operations team, you’ll play an essential role building systems and programs that help our engineering culture and values thrive.
You will report to the Head of Engineering Operations and partner closely with engineering, product, and design leadership to drive significant impact across these orgs.
What You’ll Achieve
- Enable teams to work more effectively by clarifying roles and responsibilities by developing and evangelizing effective frameworks
- Drive strategic and operational improvements to our Engineering Onboarding and Engineering Interviewer programs
- Support the strategic development and execution of several core software development programs, including OKR tracking and metrics and architecture reviews
- Improve the cohesiveness between product and infrastructure pillars, by evolving our communications and information tracking systems
- Help scale our team-aligned system of distributing responsibility (AoRs), identifying ownership gaps and facilitating the AoR transfer process across pillars
- In general, you will: partner with the Head of Engineering Ops to ideate and implement strategic initiatives to improve and further scale our company values and work collaboratively across multiple organizations to optimize our internal engineering operating system and velocity, with particular focus on optimizing and scaling
- You are a self-starter and a leader who is comfortable initiating and driving change management
- You love learning and have a passion for empowering others to do their best work
- You have the experience and ability to project manage complex cross-functional initiatives at multiple levels within the company
- You have a strong familiarity and experience with the software development life cycle and general software development workflows
- You are passionate and opinionated about organizational design and strategic planning, with an emphasis on how systems can be designed to move fast at scale
- You have an immense curiosity and flexibility to tailor the best solutions for Asana, rather than operating from a honed playbook
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills; you are able to package and present complex analysis and recommendations clearly, verbally and in writing
- You have 5+ years of professional experience, ideally with organizational strategy, program management, process improvement, planning and/or consulting within an engineering or product function in a fast-paced business
- BA/BS degree or higher, preferably in a quantitative field (engineering, applied math, etc.).
At Asana, we're building a better way to work, fueled by transparency, inclusion, and technology that is a force for positive change. Asana is a work management platform that helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives, so they can move faster and accomplish more with less. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, #15 Fast Company World’s Most Innovative Companies, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.