Product & Marketing Counsel
Our legal team works cross-functionally to help achieve Asana’s ambitious mission of enabling the world’s teams to work together effortlessly. We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group responsible for supporting all teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while likewise protecting Asana’s core values and interests. We run ideas past each other, we problem-solve together, we partner with other groups to help them navigate through challenging issues, and we’re growing.
Specifically, we’re looking for a product and marketing counsel to join our legal team in San Francisco. This individual will work closely with Asana’s marketing, design, and product teams as well as with Asana’s lead product, privacy, and compliance counsels to advise on and scale a wide variety of programs related to marketing and sales content review, intellectual property management, enablement and training, and various other product and compliance matters. We are looking for a team player who brings a business-oriented, pragmatic mindset to solving problems. This is a great opportunity to help contribute to Asana’s brand and product and offers exposure to a wide variety of issues. This role reports to the head of Asana’s legal product and privacy pillar.
What you’ll achieve
- Work with Asana’s marketing organization to review and advise on sales and marketing materials and practices to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, third party rights, and company policies
- Build processes and frameworks to help the sales, marketing, and design teams remain compliant with both US and global marketing laws (i.e. CAN-SPAM, ePrivacy Directive)
- Work with Asana product teams on product and feature development and releases, including advising on general compliance issues and go-to-market plans.
- Assist our privacy and product counsels in continuing to implement a privacy-by-design framework
- Assist our product and IP counsel on a variety of intellectual property related matters
- JD from an accredited law school and U.S-qualified (California bar membership preferred)
- 5+ years of law firm and/or in-house legal work experience - in-house experience at a technology company strongly preferred
- Knowledge of intellectual property rights, including trademarks/trade dress, patents, and copyright, as well as familiarity with US and global consumer protection and privacy laws (i.e. CAN-SPAM, ePrivacy Directive, GDPR, CCPA)
- Strong communication skills and ability to work cross-functionally with non-lawyers across the company
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess and communicate risks to business partners in clear, actionable fashion
- Thrives in ambiguity
At Asana, we're building a better way to work, fueled by transparency, inclusion, and technology that is a force for positive change. Asana is a work management platform that helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives, so they can move faster and accomplish more with less. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.